"Finder wants to make changes".

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm new to Mac Help . . . good to know that you guys are out there!

My query is in regard to my TRASH in that when I put anything in there, a window now comes up with a padlock at top left and a message saying: "Finder wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this." Below this is a panel with my name in it and below that, a panel in which I have to enter my password.

When I type in my password, the window disappears and the trash empties . . . no real problem but it's tedious and obviously not as it should be. The window started appearing about six weeks ago for no obvious reason that I can remember.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That happens when permissions are incorrect on Trash.

This link has two things to try:
Mac asking for password when moving files to Trash

I would try Method 1. Make sure you use your User folder name in place of your_user_name in the command. Also, using sudo can be dangerous, so make sure you format the command exactly as it is written, and it will prompt you for your user password.

As always, make sure you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data.

C

Reaction score
Thanks very much Cory . . . I'll follow your instructions and let you know how I get on.

Roger

Ask a Question