x.app

Reaction score
I am running 10.8.2 on my Mac Pro desktop tower. Not always, but every now and then with no reason I find "x.app" in my trash. When I try to empty the trash I get a message saying it can't because x.app is in use. The trash won't empty and when I take a look at the file it says it was last modified December 2, 2017 at 7:42 AM. How do I get rid of this once and for all. Thanks in advance to any "Apple genius"who can help!

Reaction score
Dear Kaveman,
Thank you for your suggestion! I believe that's just the secure empty and is one of the first things I tried. I've tried terminal mode and that doesn't even do it. This morning when I booted by machine the trash was empty, go figure. It seems to come and go randomly and I have no clue how to get rid of it once and for all. It's been there through the last three operating systems I've installed. It's got me stumped and I've been a Mac guy from the beginning, literally. Thanks again. I think I need a real programmer.

Reaction score
Sorry, I may be a programmer, but I'm not a mind reader. You are right it was the first thing to try, thats why I suggested you try that first.

Good luck with your search.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I believe that's just the secure empty and is one of the first things I tried.

Believe it or not! Sometimes when Secure Empty refuses to clear items in the Trash, just holding down the Option key and selecting Empty Trash (when you right-click the Trash icon) will work .... this very thing just happened to me on my iMac not half an hour ago when Secure Empty again and again just plain refused to budge an item it claimed couldn't be deleted! Of course I knew I probably only had to log out/back in again too but I was uploading something at the time ...

it's best to try everything and anything when facing an issue on your computer. :)

Reaction score
Option Empty Trash is not Secure Empty Trash,

Its Empty Trash and ignore the file flags. There are a number of flags that can remain set even when the conditions have changed. The File in use flag is the most common.
Also a restart clears this flag, so often a restart then empty Trash will do the same thing as Option - Empty Trash. YMMV.

Ask a Question