Won't boot past white screen w/ grey apple

Reaction score
I have a MacMini with a 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor that has now decided that it will not boot up past the white screen with the grey apple. I have zapped the PRAM and tried may of the other startup key combinations. The only thing that gets any response is starting with the option key depressed which allows me to choose between the Mini's boot volume and the OSX 10.5 install CD (holding down C does nothing), but from there it is back to the grey apple screen of death. (Holding down the shift key after selecting the CD results in a few more minutes of disk whirring before the screen of death, but that just gets hope up for the same nothing).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

A lot of the time that is an issue with RAM and/or MLB. If you can't boot to the install CD, then it is probably a hardware issue.

Can you boot into singe-user mode?

C

Reaction score
It starts to boot in single mode (cmd-S) gets through about half a page of text, and then there is a new line with a white rectangular prompt, but it is frozen, and I can type nothing. The last line of text is:
Waiting on<dict ID="0"><key . . . which ends with . . . Boot-Uris-media</string></dict>

Will try verbose next

Reaction score
I had a Mac G4 running 10.4, scored an ATTO scsi card cheaply, and set up two 78 G 15K scsi drives in striped array to store clip art on.... got the scsi drives hooked up (I'd moved my computer and hadn't been usig them,,and since I had a system folder on there somewhere,, start up offered me to start up from it. Forgetting what I knew about RAID, that you can't start up from a striped array, I tried it. Of course it wouldn't start up, just gave me a distorted apple and spinning spokes, then blackness. Having come to my senses, I removed the drives, along with the scsi card, It still starts up with the same ****. "C" won't work to start up off a 10.5 dvd
that I have in the (super)drive) or I'd do that and just choose the internal drive to restart on and be back in business. I have paying work done in the G4 that I can't deliver unless I can start it up. I'll try anything to get this accomplished-- really appreciate any help you guys can offer me. Grady Harris

Ask a Question