wireless printing thoughts

Reaction score
Ok, I'm ten years behind, but I'm finally in a house with three mac laptops, all wireless and it's a pain in the boootey to print -- or get to the printer every time to print. So yes, I build up a to print file of pdfs or I set all my files in the printer que, but I 'm wondering about wireless printing options.
When I searched reviews etc, they were all from quite a while ago... Is it considered not a good thing, or just everyone knows its simple and good so therefore no more discussions?
One ibook is running 10.4.3, the other two are 10.3.9:
What products are good in a all mac house, with a linksys router + a Epson 1270 printer? (Obviously you might not know exactly, I just thought specifics would be better than not)
Are they effective or are there often blind spots where you cannot print from?
Are they worth it?
Anything would be helpful, thanks much!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

what model Linksys is it ?

What would be your ideal senario ?

I have two printers at home that are 'wireless'.

One has a 'bluetooth module plugged into it...so it can be accessed via any Mac in the house wirlessly.

One of my Printers is plugged into an Apple Airport Extreme Basestation and shared across the 'regular' wireless network, all the Macs in the house can access it as long as they have a wireless card...

I'll see if I can find you a few options tomorrow...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
ideal scenerio is...
that from wherever in the house one is using their laptops, (two with airport extreeme, and my old ti powerbook g4 which has pooopy airport) that they could print to the printer. That's my ideal.
I have the Linksys WRT54G, and connected via a comcast (ick) cable modem.
I only have one printer - and it is an older printer (bought it in 1999/2000) - it is USB but does not have eithernet card in it or anything. I don't have an airport base station.
I'm not sure what else I need to add...

Thanks much, again!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

sorry for the delay !

Have had a good look and the best that I can find to go with your current Linksys is a Linksys Wireless G Print Server

This can then 'extend' your wireless network...you can plug in your printer...and all the Macs will be able to access it.

If you get this (or similar) you postion this where you want the printer, plug it into the mains, plug the printer in...then access the Linksys Admin page on the router and allow the new 'Linksys' to join the existing network...this is also a way of extending the coverage you get...then once it's 'joined' everyone should be able to access the printer.

Sorry it's only a choice of one !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question