Windows without bootcamp

Reaction score
hi all
Having just got new iMac I needed to install Windows on it ( but not on it )
On my old iMac I had Windows 10 installed on hard drive with dual boot but on this new one I did not want to have it on same drive as OSX so I did a bit of research on internet because I do not like virtualisation and even less bootcamp.
So I purchased a Samsung 500 gig USB 3 SSD external hard drive put Windows 10 on Mac with VMware (free ) used win2go ( free ) to install Windows 10 onto SSD rebooted holding option key had 2 Windows boot options booted EFI came up very quickly installed Apple drivers but only had left and right click on Magic Mouse so found software called Magic Mouse driver installed it and rebooted everything works so far,it boots very fast.
Also as my Windows 10 was linked to my MS account I was able to activate it using my Windows 8 product key ( I upgraded from this to 10 in first place )
The only thing left to do was remove VMware from Mac and install Mercedes WIS ASRA on Windows.
Dell

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Since it isn't officially supported to install Windows on a Mac without Boot Camp or Parallels/Fusion, you will need a third-party walkthrough to accomplish it. This one may work, but no guarantees: Installing Windows 10 on a Mac without Bootcamp.

As always, make sure you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory cooper
I have already done it and it works fine.
It is not on a Mac it is on a external SSD drive.
Dell

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I understand it's not on the iMac's internal HD, but on an external hard drive attached to it. It is still not supported officially per my previous post.

I am glad you got the issue resolved however. ;)

C

Ask a Question