Windows on my Mac

Reaction score
Hi All, first thread so here goes!

Had my Mac for a little while but I'm not much of a "techy" so have never dabbled. However, I think I have a requirement to run Windows on my Mac. I have had a quick look at a few videos on how to do this, some of which I actually understood, a bit! I have discovered that in 'Bootcamp' on my Mac,I have a bunch of Windows files. Does this mean I have Windows ready to install on my Mac? If so how do I do it from this situation? The videos I have watched only show how to do it from a Windows download and then it kind of runs automatically. If I was installing something on a Windows PC I would be looking for a set.exe file but I'm sure that's probably not how it works.

Do hope you guys can help. I'll attach a grab of my Mac spec below. Cheers

About This Mac.jpg

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Your iMac can surely run Windows. The Boot Camp Assistant only has Mac-specific drivers that will install in Windows in Boot Camp, to support the Mac's hardware. It doesn't come with a version of Windows to install, you'll have to purchase that.

For most folks, it is much easier to use Parallels/Fusion and run Windows in a virtual machine. You don't have to restart your Mac to run Windows that way.

What is the requirement you have to run Windows on your Mac?

C

Reaction score
above I have to run my accounting programme on Windows and use Parallels desktop, you will need to purchase Parallels and have a windows CD. real easy. download and install parallels and run, it will then as to install windows. it is great. I have windows icons on my Mac desktop.

Reaction score
Obviously, having the ability to use Microsoft on your Mac has many benefits. But you should know that if you don't want to buy any software--or rent any software as is becoming the model these days--you can use all of the Microsoft Office files online for free by going to office.com and creating a free account. You'll also get 5Gb of storage. It is possible to, say, move a Word file (or Excel, or Powerpoint, etc.) from an email to the desktop and then go to your Office.com account and mess with it there. Then either store it or return it to your desktop. You can find out more about how to do that here: Using office for free

Ask a Question