SOLVED Win 7 Boot Camp Issues

Reaction score
I have a mid 2012 15" unibody MacBook Pro with one drive being a 500 GB SSD with Mojave onboard and a second 1 TB mechanical hard drive running High Sierra for use with Win 7. I noticed that after setting up Win 7 on the OSX High Sierra and it being a drive on a hard drive caddy, that Win 7 when restarted, would not boot giving an error stating that I had to have the boot disk for the os loaded. I solved that error by putting the drive with High Sierra as the main drive and the SSD with Mojave on the afore mentioned drive caddy as the secondary drive. Win 7 finally booted and I was able to also get into Mojave successfully. I just wondered if anyone else had experience this problem. I am also contemplating partitioning the Mojave drive and put Win 10 onto it. Your probably wondering why? Well, some of the old Windows games (circa Win 98, Win XP) will not play at all on Win 10 even with enabling mode used, and I like my old games even though I have some newer games that can run on the Mac.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-How did you install Windows 7 - using the Boot Camp Assistant to partition the drive and install Windows and the Windows support software?

I believe the macOS 10.14 Mojave only supports Windows 10: System requirements to install Windows using Boot Camp for macOS. macOS 10.13 High Sierra and earlier support installing Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Windows 7.

I wonder if that may be part of the issue you are having? It shouldn't matter where the two drives are connected, but maybe Boot Camp requires the partitioned drive to be on the actual OEM hard drive connection and not on the OEM optical drive connection using a drive caddy? Not sure, as this isn't something I have come across previously.

C

Reaction score
I installed Win 7 per instructions given. I just found it unusual that it needed to be on the as you put it, OEM drive which I would assume to be the boot drive in a single hard drive system. It will be interesting if when I install Win 10 that it requires the same set up that being it being on the OEM drive. If that should happen, then I will remove via Boot Camp Win 10 since I also have a Windows Surface Pro 4 that natively runs Windows. I don't necessarily need two Win 10 computers even though the Surface is a tablet computer and therefore lighter than my MacBook. Thanks though for your reply.

T

Ask a Question