Will Office:Mac get me through important year people?

Reaction score
Hi all you intelligent peps!

I am going to be buying my first and own personal Mac in the next couple of weeks (after securing my student loan details). I have wanted one ever since I touched them in my ex job (display, exhibition and printing company).

Whilst this is going to be the most crucial of all years at university (4th year/honours) my foremost concern using my Mac in the initial 9 months is the use of MS Word for Mac. I will be getting the student and teacher edition. Essays and Dissertation is the biggest and only thing right now!

I will be getting the MacBook Pro 17". I have heard some great things about Office on the Mac but I have also heard stuff about crashing and font corruptions etc etc. Is it too much to ask for this application to run perfectly normal for me in this crucial time for me? I don't want to get a Windows PC laptop. Can I have some advice on this issue please?

TartanSparkle :cool:

Reaction score
Hi Tartansparkle,

I can only speak from experience, and that is I have never had an issue with Office on the Mac at all. I am not sure if there is an intel version out yet, but if there is not, I think the older offic for Mac works but under Rosetta. How reliable that is, I do not know.

One rule of thumb with important work that I always follow is to save every 10 minutes or so, then if a crash does happen you will only ever lose 10 minutes of work ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Kyomii.

I know for sure that this current Office:Mac is obviously not native and therefore even if it is a sure thing it might not work as sweet as the 2007 native version will run. Thanks for getting back to me. I am sure you can appreciate how much this is important to me. I know most people's work is just as important but as this is new territory for me, I need to be sure.

TS

Reaction score
Hello Tartansparkle!

I have Office S&T running on my 17" MacBook Pro and I haven't had a single hickup yet! I demand a lot from office as a fourth year college student myself. Best of luck to you and enjoy your new toy!

Searay

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Yes, Office 2004 (Office:mac) will run on Intel Macs even though it's not Universal (native). I am running the full Proessional version (not Virtual PC though) on my Intel Mac mini without an issue.

C

FYI: Your new MacBook Pro is actually the fastest Core Duo Windows notebook around! (When running WinXP Pro via Apple Boot Camp)

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there TartanSparkle and welcome !

I thought the student loan was for Alcoholic beverages ?

Only thing to add as Kyomii says back up regularly !

If you have a yahoo, gmail or similar email account send an email to yourself with your word doc attached (set the prefs so that it doesn't get deleted !)...then you will have a nice offline backup...plus you will have diferent versions which can always come in handy !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hey There,

Oh I remember the happy days when I was a student, no nice shiny mac to write my dissertation on back then though ;).

Happier days now though now I've just got a gorgeous new imac. I'm on the 30 day test drive for office mac. Can anyone confirm if this does actually run out after the 30 days or will I have to shell out for it? I've seen the Students version on Amazion for just over £100, this is obviously quite a bit cheaper than the full version. I don't really need Office to do anything fancy so I presumming that it will cover my needs. Does anyone know the major differences between the 2 version please?

Cheers Guys

Cath

Reaction score
Hey Cath,

Once the test drive runs out it will no longer run. Most trials that you get of software from companies lasts for 30 days. It runs down like a clock everytime you use it.

Your right to talk of the Student & Teacher version of Office:Mac on Amazon for approx £100. Whilst I could not give you an exact low down of the differences between the S&T version and the Office:Mac Standard edition I would say you won't need it? If you are using the software for average stuff, Word documents or Powerpoint presentations then you won't need the Standard Edition, the S&T would suit fine...although...before we go any further...don't get too excited!

As obvious as it is, you need to be a Student or a Teacher to get it. Unless anyone can tell you different you have to prove that you are a student or a teacher either when buying it or at the stage when you have to register it (product code bit etc etc).

ts

Reaction score
Thanks Tartansparkle,

I think I might risk buying the S&T version. It looks as if anyone can buy it off Amazon so it may well be that they might ask for proof once registering. If it's a problem I might not register it, or my OH is a student so can registered via him of it comes to that.

Anyone actually had experience of this?

Cheers again

Cath

Ask a Question