Wifi 6E via USB-C interface

Reaction score
At home over wifi we are getting 900+ Mbps over WiFI 6E, and my iMac only getting 400Mbps with same setup.

Can I buy a WiFi 6E laptop module and insert into PCIE to USB C adapter that supports the A, C Key interface.

Then plug the USB C into the iMac?

Would the iMAC now be able communicate over Wifi 6E.

Does the USB C interface support this kind of setup?

Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.
  • Which exact model iMac?
  • Which version of macOS?
  • Which brand/model is your Wi-Fi router?
I highly doubt that scenario would work. You may be better off connecting the iMac to the router via an Ethernet cable if possible.

C

Reaction score
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
macOS Monterey 12.1
Linksys Hydra set to Access Point at Wifi 6E (6Ghz only)

Would the USB C be able to detect the PCIE card and configure and detect it as a Network Device such as: Wifi 2 of some other Networking device that will bridge in IP traffic?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

As I mentioned, I highly doubt that your scenario: "WiFi 6E laptop module and insert into PCIE to USB C adapter that supports the A, C Key interface" would be recognized and work, because there wouldn't be any hardware drivers for the WiFi 6E laptop module in macOS.

Your best bet would be to enable 802.11ac (WiFi 5) - 5 GHz on the Linksys Hydra to allow the iMac to connect, or connect it via Ethernet if it is close enough to the router. 802.11ac has a theoretical maximum speed of 1,300 Mbps (1.3 Gbps) - 2,300 Mbps (2.3 Gbps).

C

Ask a Question