SOLVED Wi-Fi connectivity

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I've recently got a new Wi-Fi router and it doesn't seem to work right with my PC (it's iMac21,2 with macOS 11.3 Big Sur installed), because the speed is lower than it should be (it's less than 20 MB/s). It does work well with the other devices and the speed is higher than 40 MB/s. I think there might be something wrong with the software compatibility or something.
What can I do for troubleshooting?

I would be thankful for any suggestions! :)
--
Nick

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I've recently got a new Wi-Fi router and it doesn't seem to work right with my PC (it's iMac21,2 with macOS 11.3 Big Sur installed), because the speed is lower than it should be (it's less than 20 MB/s). It does work well with the other devices and the speed is higher than 40 MB/s. I think there might be something wrong with the software compatibility or something.
What can I do for troubleshooting?

I would be thankful for any suggestions! :)
--
Nick
If your other devices are getting good speeds from the same wifi connection, the problem could be with the wifi antenna of your iMac. The last time I had a similar experience was when I still had my MacPro5,1 (“cheesegrater”) because of its all metal enclosure. Since I didn’t have a need to move the thing around, an ethernet cable connection was not a problem.

Try to get hold of an ethernet cable (Cat-5 or better) and connect the iMac directly to the ethernet port of the router. If the connection gets better, it means there’s a problem with the wifi antenna or associated hardware.

Reaction score
Alright, so I've managed to get my hands on a cable. Just as you've said - the Internet connection got way better than it was over Wi-Fi.

I also don't need to move the PC around so the cable connection is fine, too. However, I'd still like to find out what the problem is because I might need to use a wireless connection in the future. I will try reinstalling the Wi-Fi driver and will see how that goes.

Reaction score
Alright, so I've managed to get my hands on a cable. Just as you've said - the Internet connection got way better than it was over Wi-Fi.

I also don't need to move the PC around so the cable connection is fine, too. However, I'd still like to find out what the problem is because I might need to use a wireless connection in the future. I will try reinstalling the Wi-Fi driver and will see how that goes.
You may need to send the iMac to Apple to be serviced, or to an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider). If you decide you don’t want to spend the money, my solution to making my MacPro “wireless” was to connect it to one of my Airport Extremes as a wireless network extender so I could position it away from the wifi router.

Reaction score
You may need to send the iMac to Apple to be serviced, or to an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider). If you decide you don’t want to spend the money, my solution to making my MacPro “wireless” was to connect it to one of my Airport Extremes as a wireless network extender so I could position it away from the wifi router.
The driver update didn't really help so there must be something wrong with the hardware. At the same time, I'm definitely not in the mood to spend any more money now, so I will try to do something like you did when the necessity comes. So far, the cable works really well and I don't plan to move the computer anywhere in the following weeks.

Again, thanks for sharing the info! Appreciate it! I think I will mark this thread as solved for now and then start another one once I need help again:)

Ask a Question