High sierra connectivity issues

Reaction score
i am writing this on a ipad because after updating to high sierra, the ethernet connection & the wifi are not working on my macbook pro. Have followed one recommendation and removed wifi settings from config & restarted & it works for a bit & then goes back to being disconnedted, but it's saying everything is connected???? Doesn't matter whether it's ethernet cable or wifi it's not working. Is there an easy way to go back to the previous version of OS in order to eliminate the resetting network config settings every day. Also what happened to the "assist me" in the network connection preferences list? It was helpful to use in the past, but now all that is there is the advanced version. NOT GOOD!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

We'll need a bit more information please:

-Which exact model MacBook Pro?
-Are you running High Sierra beta or the official version?
-What brand/model is your router?
-Who is your ISP?
-You can run Wireless Diagnostics by holding the Option key and clicking on the Wi-Fi menu in the menu bar.

C

Reaction score
mac pro 2016
not beta
router varies per location but doesnt matter, every 3 or 4 restarts requires removing old wifi settings and restart to reset.

it was working fine before updating to high sierra

Reaction score
Umm, another High Sierra "bug". Not sure why folks rush to upgrade to a new Mac OS, but it has been proven time and time again that the initial version of a new Mac OS is definitely "bug infested". And given how things have substantially changed with High Sierra, it would be definitely risky. Is there a specific reason why you upgraded? Also, did you upgrade "in place", ie, did High Sierra basically overwrite what was there before?

Which Mac OS were you using previously? And did you upgrade to that from another Mac OS? If you did, then that "most recent" Mac OS should still be under the Purchased tab in the App Store.

Some more information would be helpful:

1. Are you making backups to an external device? That is so, so critical! If you are (hopefully) making backups, what software are you using for that task?

2. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You can actually do a lot of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent programs available (both free and commercial) that can help you with those tasks.

3. How much free space is on your internal drive?

4. What third party (ie, non-Apple) apps are you using? And have you kept them updated? And did any of them need updating for High Sierra compatibility?

Reaction score
I've reached the frustration limit with this problem. My wifi has become almost unusable with my Macbook Air. Before High Sierra, the "Assist Me" button in the network settings would almost always clear the trouble. It is not the wifi since I have several iOS, Android and Windows devices accessing the same router (no, not at the same time). The Macbook is the only one that has a consistent problem.

What would be the ramifications of rolling back to Sierra at this point? I don't know if it's still available on the app store, but would it even be feasible? An alternative would be for Apple to let us know what went on behind the scenes with the Assist Me so we might be able to duplicate it.

Reaction score
Are you "Just me", or another individual with the same issue? It seems like you are someone else.

Assuming that is the case, need some information:

1. What exact model is your Mac Book Air machine?

2. What OS was on that machine originally?

3. Are you making backups to an external device? That is so, so critical!

4. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs from a software perspective? You can actually do a lot of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent programs available (both free and commercial) that can help you with those tasks.

5. Why did you "upgrade" to High Sierra? Also, did you upgrade "in place", ie, basically let High Sierra overwrite what was already there?

If you downloaded Sierra previously from the App Store, then you should be able to get it again by clicking on the "Purchased" tab. However, you will need a backup to do a clean, fresh installation of Sierra (highly recommended).

Reaction score
I have the same problem.
On a computer with a prior OS, I was able to resolve a network issue by clicking on the "assist me" button and following the steps.
On a Mac with High Sierra the "assist me" button is gone and I am stuck with no connection.
Can anyone recommend a tool that will help (do whatever assist me does)?

Reaction score
Since this is the second (at least) time this is happening, it would be wise to go back to Sierra. Thus, except for question #1 in my post above, the other questions are applicable to your case. For you, question #1 would be:

1. What exact Mac model do you have?

It is getting more and more disappointing with all the issues I am seeing with High Sierra (although one wonders how much of it is due to improper planning). I was going to upgrade when my other 3 critical third party applications (Tech Tool Pro, SuperDuper!, and the Logitech Control Center software for my Logitech mice) have upgrades for High Sierra compatibility, but there is a good chance I'll wait. Also, even though an upgrade to High Sierra, OS 10.13.1, is due to be released very soon, it is only a minor upgrade, and it does not address a lot of possible serious issues.

Update: OK, via the site www.maccentral.com, OS 10.13.1 has been released. This link describes what is "fixed":

https://www.macworld.com/article/3235181/macs/apple-releases-macos-10-13-1-high-sierra-update.html

Again, nothing earth shattering.

Last edited:
Reaction score
i am writing this on a ipad because after updating to high sierra, the ethernet connection & the wifi are not working on my macbook pro. Have followed one recommendation and removed wifi settings from config & restarted & it works for a bit & then goes back to being disconnedted, but it's saying everything is connected???? Doesn't matter whether it's ethernet cable or wifi it's not working. Is there an easy way to go back to the previous version of OS in order to eliminate the resetting network config settings every day. Also what happened to the "assist me" in the network connection preferences list? It was helpful to use in the past, but now all that is there is the advanced version. NOT GOOD!

Hey - just upgraded to 10.13.4 and having the same issue. Here is what I did to resolve. SystemPreferences...Network... Proxies... - then just uncheck Web Proxy (HTTP) & Secure Web Proxy (HTTPS) click "OK", then "Apply". That seems to have worked. Very frustrating...

Reaction score
FYI. I ran across this problem a few months ago. It's discussed on a lot of sites, and the consensus is that they just removed it. End of story. Apparently, a lot of the Apple techs didn't even know about it. Most fixes that were suggested were temporary, but good luck. I haven't had any trouble since I replaced my router and got a more stable ISP.

Reaction score
FYI, I have not had this issue at all with either of my Macs (Late 2012 Mac Mini connected to my Netgear Router with an Ethernet Cable; mid 2017 13" MacBook Air, connected to the internet via WiFi), and that goes for any Mac OS I have used. (I am currently running OS 10.13.4 on both of my Macs). I actually replaced my Arris Telephony modem with a Netgear one (to take advantage of the faster speeds Comcast is "giving" me), and again things are working flawlessly.

Also, regarding what macuser1 did above to "fix" the problem, I have never "messed" with those settings. I just checked, and all the Proxies are unchecked. I assume the Mac OS does that.

Ask a Question