Why Mac?

Reaction score
Hi,

I was just curious to know why people choose to use Apple Macs.

Some people look at me in horror when I tell them that I am a Mac user stating that everything is much more expensive with a Mac than a PC (I can't argue there).

For me it's because I use my computer mainly to make music & I just find Mac's to be generally more intuitive & user friendly.

Can anyone else tell me why they choose Macs over PC?

I am particularly interested in practical reasons as oppose to things like "they look better" although for some asthetics is definately a factor.

Reaction score
Hello Jango!

I switched to Mac a year ago. I was sick and tired of my *cough*Dell*cough* crashing all the time. It would just crash randomly. I am not a computer idiot. I had multiple virus protection programs, 5 firewalls, and other security features and it still crashed. I needed a computer that was much more reliable. Plus, I watched all of my friends with Macs doing these incredible things that just put my Dell to shame and it was fully loaded!! I know all of my friends (who know lots about computers) are switching to Apple before Vista comes out. As for me, I needed a computer that was more reliable. All I can say is "WOW." I have done a lot more on my Mac (productively) than I have even done on a PC. Also, The Apple OS X is not a resource hog. Windows, for example, would see 2 GB of RAM and it would use it all for some unnecessary task. Macs see 2 GB of RAM and only use it when it is needed and when it is no longer needed it gives it back. So to conclude, Macs are more reliable for my needs and They don't consume all of the resources I need to do these tasks.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

well I started in the days of the ZX80 and the ZX81...Zx Spectrum......

I then moved on to an Atari ST, my first "GUI" computer (1985), (Apple released theirs in 1984)...then I got introduced to the Mac 512K.

Thats when I got hooked !

I am 'multiPC' lingual and have had numerous PC's, Sun Sparc's and Mac's over the years. The other systems have always been a neccesary evil !

I currently have a HP Laptop running XP, that is about on it's last legs, now I am happy because I don't have to buy another, I can just get an Intel Mac and boot XP if and when needed !

Mac's have always been the 'creatives' choice and anyone who wanted to work in Graphic Design or similar, Mac was best !

There are so many reasons on "Why Mac", but it's been a long day so I shall sum up tomorrow !

...I suppose they just do what they're meant to do, and look damn fine doing it !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi thanks,

One of the reasons I asked the question is that I am very seriously considering buying an Intel Mac pro desktop powermac.

The model I am thinking about buying has a 3ghz processor,2gb ram,built in airport & two hard drives, one 250 gb & the other 500 gb.

For this model the total cost would come to nearly £3,000 (including applecare).

It's strange but I suppose i'm looking for reasons to justify what would be for me a very extravagant purchase.

I mean, in the world of the PC what could I get for that kind of money in terms of power & speed?

I love Macs & whilst i'm certainly no expert I know more about them than I do PCs (although that's still not a whole lot) but for even half of that £3,000 I could no doubt get a top of the range PC.

Oh well, decisions decisions.

Reaction score
Here is my deal. I paid $6,000 (E 4,708.098) for my Dell. I had top of the line stuff put in it; same as my current Mac excluding a Core Duo processor. After 9 months, I started getting lots of problems. After a year and a half, my HD exploded inside the computer causing $300 (E 235.405) in damage. Dell would not cover it. Now, the hardware inside the computer is failing. I paid much less for my Mac with better technology and much better Customer Support. Sorry if it sounds like I am ranting, but I just don't want to see other people make the same mistake I made and regret a computer purchase. Computers are expensive ; it is another investment like a car or house. So people should be aware of what they are buying before they make a purchase. People need to do research before buying and pray that they talk to a good salesman who is honest and open about their products they are selling. Ok, I am done ranting! Sorry.

Searay

Reaction score
Hi thanks,

I'm not gonna rush into anything but I know i'll probably go for the Mac in the end.

I'm just trying to get all the info before making my decision.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi jango,

do you use the Mac for business or pleasure ?

What software do you mainly use ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a Gas engineer by trade so my Mac really has no bearing on my working life so I suppose it's mainly pleasure.

I mainly use my Mac to make music.

Although I regard the music as more than a hobby & would love to actually make a living from it someday. So it is important to me that I have a computer that can be really stretched.

For music I mainly use ProTools & occasionaly Logic.

For word proccesing etc I have begun using iWork & I'm quite impressed although I doubt i've even touched the surface in terms of what it can do.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

in the old old days the Ataris were one of the first to use a midi interface...then the Macs...

I'd probably say go for it ! That sort of spec should be good for at least 5 years !

...but then again, I would say that wouldn't I ;-)

The balance in life comes --- what will the Wife (other half !) get out of the deal !

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
...do you know anyone in 'education', I've just had a Family member order a new Mac cost to me would have been £938 via the Apple Store UK, but via the Higher Education prices it comes to £760 !

It may even be worth signing up for an evening class somewhere, on a 3K purchase. If you decide on a spec by all means email me and I'll see what the price would come to via education...and then you can decide what 'class' you want to join !

regards

Ric

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi

Does the 'education' have to be something related to computers?

I am currently doing an electrical installation course two evenings a week.

I don't suppose that would be relevant to getting a discount on a Mac.

I've got a friend who got £1,500 towards the cost of a brand new G5 because he's dyslexic & was doing a music tech course.

I'm not dyslexic but for that kind of discount i'd certainly give it a go but apparently it can't be faked.

There are certain written tests you have to do to qualify for dyslexic help & there are supposed to be known tell tale signs showing if someone is faking it.

I am definately going to go for the Mac but my current G4 is still in pretty good nick & is working better lately since I tried some stuff on it that was suggested by the good people on this site ( that disk utility malarki seems to have done the trick in regards to my Mac not starting up) thanks again.

So I may wait a little while longer because the Top of the range G5 of today will probably not be the top of the range G5 in six months time & then i'll wish i'd waited until I really needed it.

Cheers

SwampWitch

Reaction score
I'm pretty computer illiterate, but compared to PCs and a UNIX system that I've used, Macs are so straightforward! I can troubleshoot. I can fix things when I do something really stupid. (Years ago I had a few all-nighters restoring things I'd messed up, but the point is I could do it.) I don't want to have to write scripts and know codes. I don't care how it works, I just want the end result, and I want it to be easy to get there.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

Ric

Reaction score
Why Mac?

Well if you could see my Nephews Face (beaming smile!) who took delivery of his first Mac, a 24" iMac on Thursday, then you'd know why.

His Uncle (me) has spent the last two days giving him a few pointers (he was a PC user) and the smile from his face is nearly as bright as his screen !

Everytime I showed him something he beemed !!!

And he has the best of both worlds because we put XP on, via BootCamp. So that he can run 3D Studio Max.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
...little to no viri i do my onlien stuff on the mac offline with windows
...what ? i cant shake off 12 years of windows use just like that
anybody who says the switch si easy and painless is just fooling themselfs i have been switching between the two since 2001

Reaction score
Well it does depend what the person means by switching and their computer literacy or lack of. If you are talking about the hardware such as the right click, the keyboard, and other things like that then it is easy (depending on literacy). If you are talking about switching in terms of programs and such, then I can see what you mean. I still suffer that I can't run a lot of programs that windows runs. But I have found replacements for most of them. But more programmers are coming on the mac scene now and more programs are being developed now.

It's just my opinion. You are entitled to disagree with me. :)

Ask a Question