Why am I not set up as the Administrator on my Mac?

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just bought a brand new Mac book note book, and I followed all the on screen instructions as normal when setting it up and installing the software, but for some reason my details have been set up as "standard" and not as Admin. This now means that I can't install any new software on my mac because you obviously need admin privileges to do so. Therefore I am very frustrated that I can't set up my new printer or my Office software.....can anyone please help and give me a mickey mouse, step by step way of sorting this out? I'm new to macs so therefore haven't got a clue!!

Thanks so much!
J

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Administrator or "Admin" is the default account type that is set up automatically after installing OS X . This account should be named differently from your usual User name as this account isn't really designed for every day use.

Admin account

During installation, an initial administrative user name will be requested. Do not enter anyvariant of “admin” or “administrator” “or “root.”

• User name: enter a one-word name you will remember, but not your name or family name or anything easily guessed (“Sweetums” is good, “Smith” is bad);

• Short name: same as user name

• Password: should be no less than eight characters, should be something you remember,and should differ from your day-to-day account name.

I'd re-install the OS seeing as you have only just acquired the MacBook.

Reaction score
Please read the following as you will be able to sort it out without reinstalling, BUT, you must follow the instructions to the letter:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306876

If you are not comfortable doing any of the above, then you need to do a reinstall unfortunately.

You MUST disable the root user when finished as specified as the last step.

How to disable the root user

Mac OS X 10.5 or later
  1. Click the Finder icon in the Dock.
  2. From the Go menu, choose Utilities.
  3. Open Directory Utility.
  4. Click the lock in the Directory Utility window.
  5. Enter an administrator account name and password, then click OK.
  6. Choose Disable Root User from the Edit menu.

Ask a Question