Who has pets?

Reaction score
two cats one dull as dishwater red moggie named gregor ( dont look at me he was named that way ) and a viceous far to inteligent black and white piece of felinoid evil rarley listening to the name shirley unless i tell her to get the hell offathat you bloody orca !!

a couple of guppies ( dont ask ) a canary and a rabbit
used to be more

Reaction score
Hello all!

The past two days have been really rough. Returning from England was rough. Long list of problems at the airport specifically Chicago O'Hare. I get home to find out that our dog Kandi passed away while I was overseas. She was 11 years old. That's below average for a Golden Retriever. She died from multiple health problems from pneumonia, cardiac failure, and some other complications as well. So my welcome home back wasn't as cheerful as I hoped. This is kandi:

DSC00570.jpg

Reaction score
Very sorry to hear about your loss searay - she looks absolutely gorgeous in the picture. Small consolation I know, but if she had been in pain, at least she is now at peace

Reaction score
Thanks Timslim, I know she was in pain before I left. I had a feeling that she might not make it by the time I returned.

What makes it really hard for us is that my dad is a vet. He tried everything to bring her back. He even attempted CPR. He was really hopping that I could say goodbye when I got home, but she couldn't continue.

So, the house is a bit quiet now. But we still have our three cats. I am sad, but I will move on. Thanks again

Cheerio
Searay

Reaction score
What a beautiful dog Searay, so very sad to hear about your loss. :(

This is my choc labrador Charlie, who will be 11 in July this year and has cancer and is poorly at the moment. I know he is not going to be with me much longer and it hurts me very much indeed.

Charlie_046.jpg

You say you can move on, and I hope I can only do the same - I think it will be a long time before I do though because I love him so much.

He has helped me through my illness, and when I have had bad pain days, he has gently put his front paws on my shoulders and put his cheek next to mine to comfort me. He does this ever so gently because he knows any pressure really hurts me.

He has spent countless hours on the bed next to me looking after me and keeping my company but sadly cannot get on the bed anymore and has not been able to do for a while.

You really have my sympathies, Golden Retrievers and Labradors are beautiful dogs.

Reaction score
Thanks Kyomii, it will be hard to move on. I am going to try my best though. I am sorry to hear about your dog's cancer though :( Losing a pet is losing a member of the family. You have this void that can't be filled. You have my deepest sympathy as well.

SwampWitch

Reaction score
Searay, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you can take some comfort in the fact that she had a wonderful life with you and your family.

Please write down on a piece of paper some things you loved about Kandi and weird little quirks she had, etc. Fold it up and put it behind a picture of her. We forget those things with time, even though we don't want to... trust me, some day you will be glad to have it written down.

Again, I'm sorry you had such a sad homecoming.

SwampWitch

Reaction score
Searay, someone sent me this a while ago, and it is written by Rudyard Kipling. She also wrote the editors note etc at the bottom:

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie -
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find - it's your own affair -
But...you've given your heart for a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!);
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone - wherever it goes - for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart for the dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-time loan is as bad as a long -
So why in Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

Editor's Note: This poem is especially for Helen Houseman. And is put here in memory of her dog Annie who featured in Jacks Tale - An Update - Editors's Ramble 39 and sadly passed away recently.

I happen to believe that the answer to Kipling's question, 'Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?' Is a resounding yes. Happiness is best when it is shared with a wagging tale for however brief a period. And I am sure that Annie both gave and received plenty of happiness. My condolences to Helen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reaction score
Nice pets everyone! The first pic is of my dog "Baby" who passed away a few years ago and the second pic is of my cat "Pestiferous Felinus" (Pesty for short), who is still alive and as pestiferous as ever!

Attachments

• Baby.jpg
    Baby.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 353
  • Pesty.jpg
    Pesty.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 371

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Have you ever considered another dog, Walrus? Baby looks like a real character ;) Pesty must be a youngish cat? Somehow I get the impression you are a dog person..

Reaction score
Great dogs, Spawn! Unfortunately, because of my work schedule, I can't have a dog. You're impression is correct, although Pesty certainly has her good moments. She's almost twelve years old and is in excellent shape and she has the softest fur that i've ever noticed on a cat. It's almost like petting a rabbit. :D

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Wow, she looks younger than that! I don't know if you noticed my dog Jess' teeth ... they were initially bred 100 or so years ago to kill fox underground in the foxes lair ... they are round about the same size as a fox and it musta been some kinda battle down there!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
:) Thanks SwampWitch, the "Tortie" across the road used to come over and lie on our outside doormat and these two ^ would be sniffing at the gap underneath the front door for hours after it left ... became somewhat annoying for us in the end so we try to discourage the tortie from visiting us.

Reaction score
:) Thanks SwampWitch, the "Tortie" across the road used to come over and lie on our outside doormat and these two ^ would be sniffing at the gap underneath the front door for hours after it left ... became somewhat annoying for us in the end so we try to discourage the tortie from visiting us.

If you really wanted to discourage the Tortie from paying you a visit, you might want to let Jess & Bill out of the house for a bit of a romp. After seeing those teeth, I think that the Tortie will abandon its "tortitude" and take a pass at making any further visits! :)
Just joking of course. :D ;)

Reaction score
"Ah, yes, I see that Pesty is a tortie... they all have something called "tortitude." :D
After doing a google for "tortitude", I must admit that she has many of those characteristics. One of my favorite things that she does is; when I walk to the mailbox which is around a block away, she'll follow me all the way there and back! Sometimes she'll hide along the way and runs up to me trying to scare me as if I was her prey. She's definitely a huntress! Although I'm not a "cat person", I must admit that she certainly has her good moments and she's a great pet!

SwampWitch

Reaction score
A great site for questions about or help for cats is The Cat Site (I'm not affiliated, just a member). http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ They also have a very active lounge with wonderful, caring people. This site and that have the kindest and best people on the web. There's also an area for discussion of other pets.

I've plugged this site over there, too.

I'm SwampWitch there, so if you join drop me a PM. :) They also have a new Arcade which is completely addicting. Maybe it would be fun to have something like that here?

Ask a Question