Who has pets?

Reaction score
The Thread name speaks for itself. I am curious as to what kind of pets everyone has. I get us started.

My Dad is a veterinarian so we always have lots of pets. He is also a zoo vet. So we can have up to 20 pets at a time in our house ranging from dogs, cats, birds, lizzards, snakes, frogs, fish, and much more. Currently though, we have three cats and a dog.

The History of the cats: The white cat in the pic (see below) is named Mickey Blue Eyes. He is a rescue cat. He is totally deaf, but he has a very loud pur and meow. He has a great personality and very athletic. He is about 7 years old. The Black cat is named Gina. We gave her to my grandpa after my grandma died so he wouldn't be lonely. Sadly, he died a year later. As a result, we took her back. She is about 3 years old. The Mixed colored cat is an interesting cat. Her name is Beenie. She is about 9 approaching 10 years old. She is half blooded Main Coon and Bob Cat. She was found in a box full of other kittens on our door step one morning. My Dad took them to his clinic for adoption, but my sister wanted that cat, so we kept that one. Whenever I come home from school, she is always on my lap and never wants me to leave. She will lay on your stomach and massage your neck.

DSC01332.jpg

The Dog: The Dog's name is Kandi (pronounced Candy). She is a golden retriever. She was a former show dog. She was abused by her former owners and we rescued her. She is almost 12 years old. She loves to swim and play with her bally (Tennis Ball). Here is a pic of her dressed up for Halloween. That was my mom's idea. Notice in the pic behind Kandi's head, you can see Gina's eyes glowing. This pic still freaks me out when I see it in a slide show!

DSC00570.jpg

SwampWitch

Reaction score
Aw, your kitties are beautiful, and your dog has such a sweet face!
We have three cats, too. I'll have to look for pictures of the other two,
but here's my cat, Lily.
Lilyhappytailseyes.jpg

Here's a picture of her on the SPCA website,
which we found after adopting her.
felisity17659-1.jpg

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

Reaction score
Cairn terrior called Holly, sorry no pics of her at work, so find close approximation from image search below....

cairn-terrier-0014.jpg

Butter wouldn't melt.........!

Ric

Reaction score
No pets here !

I have a few Bonsai trees...they need a lot of attention !

I had a Cat, Dog, Rabbit and some fish when I was growing up.

Maybe when the ankle biter gets a bit bigger, he'll hopefully put in a request for a Dog !

regards

Ric

SwampWitch

Reaction score
Maybe when the ankle biter gets a bit bigger, he'll hopefully put in a request for a Dog !
Or just get him one for a present now!

This is our daughter's cat, Sparkle. She is usually up to something that involves making a mess, she loves water, and we call her "the little varmint." She also tears the wrapping paper off of presents before Christmas. Wait... am I talking about our daughter or her cat?

Sparklechew2.jpg

Where is Sparkle's head? Oberon (my husband's cat) and Sparkle

wheresSparklesheadcopy.jpg

Lily and Oberon chillin' in the back yard (Oberon's on his back).

lilyandoberon.jpg

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

Reaction score
Your cats ROCK!!!

I have to laugh at Oberon on his back!!! HAHA!! Beenie does that sometimes.

Reaction score
I grew up having lots of pets, dog, cats (up to 12 at a time), hamsters, rabbits, mice, rats, lizards, toads, chickens, cockatiel, guinea pigs, ducks, but now I've just got my dog, Little John. He was a shelter rescue when he was 3 and a half months old... he'd 8 and a half years old now... The shelter said that he was part Australian shepherd and they didn't know what else... his vet calls him a "Heinz 57" shepherd... One of his favorite things to do is catch critters... his running total (of what I know about) is 1 rat, 2 snakes, 2 gophers, 6 mice, 7 oppossums. He tries to catch cats, birds and squirrels too, but they've luckily been a bit too fast so far... He's got springs in his feet as he can jump up and grab an oppossum from the top of the 6-foot fence that surrounds my yard... I'd like to get a cat too, to help out with the rodent catching, but he wouldn't be able to deal with a cat in the house I don't think, plus he's so much neater about catching things than cats usually are... he just crushes them without breaking the skin... much less messy...
IMG_0032.JPG

He hates loud noises, and demands to be picked up when he's scared by them (that's 55 pounds of dog needing to be picked up!). He's way too smart for his own good and has on several occassions faked an injury in order to get attention. The first time he got found out as he couldn't remember which leg he was supposed to be limping on, and only limped in the house, didn't limp when he was taken for a walk... Second time he remembered which leg it was well enough, and even threw in alot of pathetic crying, but he blew it when I let him outside and shut the door (but watched through the window) and he started galloping across the yard to chase a bird. He knew he was busted when I opened the door and he saw that I saw him running around.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Wow...lots of "cat people" here. I have always favored cats over dogs -- of course, I have been attacked thrice by canines.

Cheers

SwampWitch

Reaction score
My husband has a similar problem since dogs tend to knick him with their teeth when he tries to play with them. Cats, on the other hand, seek him out and flump down on the sidewalk in front of him!

He once petted a horse like you would a cat, and it took a big bite out of his jacket sleeve.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

I guess I looked like lunch when I was younger...to a German shepherd, a Doberman, and a pit bull. ;) Now I am 6'2" and 215 lbs, so they don't mess with me much.

I always had great rapport with cats...including my friend's cougar...yes, cougar.

C

Reaction score
A cougar!! WOW!!!

We used to have a few horses, but it was something we outgrew. Plus, it got costly.

Reaction score
It started raining here overnight, and this morning, shortly after I let my dog out, he was back at the door wanting to get let back in, and he was soaking wet. After I dried him off he wanted to go back out, but he didn't want to get wet (he hates water of all types, rain, bath, river, lake, ocean), so I told him he needed to put his rain coat on first, so he went to where his raincoat was and when I got it down he slipped his head right in the hole and waited while I did the other attachments.
IMG_0115.JPG

and then off he went prancing outside, stopping long enough to pose for a couple pics...

IMG_0116.JPG

When his feet are wet and need to be dried I tell him to show me his feets and he lays down on his back and sticks his feet in the air so I can dry them... laying on his back is also a favored sleeping position...

Ric

Reaction score
...I think someones, got someone wrapped round there little 'paw' !

;-)

Reaction score
I second Ric's statement!! That is great!!!! That is a cool dog!! I love dogs who do funny/cool things. Zeyhra, your dog has the funniest personality!

Searay

SwampWitch

Reaction score
Aw, he is a sweetie! He looks like he's waiting for you to take him someplace special, since he's all dressed up. Very cute.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

p.s. Speaking of cougars... my daughter's school has "lock downs" when there are cougar sightings in the area. The police contact the school immediately after a sighting and the kids don't get to go outside for recess until the danger is passed. We regularly have otters and raptors in our backyard, too. It's a wild life!

Reaction score
We've been having cougar sightings here too... on local golf courses even... the university here (University California Santa Cruz) has cougar warning signs around campus... though you're more likely to see a banana slug there...
banana_slug_06.jpg

Reaction score
More tales of my "too smart" dog... Let him out this morning and when I called him to come back in he didn't come in. I went out in the yard to look for him, as this usually means he's doing something he doesn't want me to know about (like playing with one of his "toys"... a freshly killed critter...) but he wasn't in any of his usual hiding places, So I said quite loudly "Let's get a cookie" which is the phrase that makes him drop everything and come running... which he did... from the house next door... and in coming back to our yard he demonstrated how he got there... There is a board in the fence that you can push aside and hop right through... just like in old "Dennis the Menace" or "Little Rascal" tv shows... (and probably lots of others too, but those are the ones it brought to mind... )

Ask a Question