What is "completer.app"?

Reaction score
Recently (last 3 days) I've been getting an authorization box asking me to enter my system password to all the "completer.app" to make changes. I don't know what this is and have been saying no, but this consistently comes up every morning. It doesn't happen during daily use only after the machine has been in sleep mode over night. Is this some virus? How do I get rid of it?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sounds like you may have the Genieo/InstallMac adware issue. It's a bit involved to remove it. Instructions here:

The Safe Mac > Adware Removal Guide : Genieo

***NOTE: Make sure you have a current backup of you data. Read through the instruction fully before starting the removal process. If there is anything you don't understand, or you believe it is over your head, don't proceed - take your Mac to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Let us know how you get on and if you have any questions.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sounds like you may have the Genieo/InstallMac adware issue. It's a bit involved to remove it. Instructions here:

***NOTE: Make sure you have a current backup of you data. Read through the instruction fully before starting the removal process. If there is anything you don't understand, or you believe it is over your head, don't proceed - take your Mac to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.

C
Get rid of Genieo or your system will freeze & unable to restart.
I have the same problem with the "completer but cannot find genieo application anywhere. My problem started when I pressed on live streaming link on Golden Globes page - tunemy mac invaded my computer and even though I uninstalled (removed it to trash and restarted the computer) it, whenever I open Safari (it's only on safari) Mackeepers search page shows up overriding my preferences with this web address http://search-quick.com/. In addition shockwave pop up shows up saying I should check box - open in 32 bit mode. I am tired...

Reaction score
I have the same problem with the "completer but cannot find genieo application anywhere. My problem started when I pressed on live streaming link on Golden Globes page - tunemy mac invaded my computer and even though I uninstalled (removed it to trash and restarted the computer) it, whenever I open Safari (it's only on safari) Mackeepers search page shows up overriding my preferences with this web address http://search-quick.com/. In addition shockwave pop up shows up saying I should check box - open in 32 bit mode. I am tired...
Hello and welcome.

C
I had been cursing this "completer" message for a few days. After checking cnet's ratings and checking a few other sources, I went ahead and downloaded Adware Medic, which you will find if you follow The Safe Mac> link seen earlier in this post. I am so happy with the results (Genieo appears to be completely removed from my Mac) that I went back to the website and donated (it is free for the using, but the site is supported through donations). Thanks Cory Cooper!

Reaction score
Thank you so much, either Cory or David Green - I have a hard time figuring out who is talking to me here. This will force me to go Apple store, finally as I am not backing up my computer for a while and don't want to loose everything, while I am trying to remove the malware. Or finally back up my stuff, myself. Oh boy. Thanks a lot, didn't realize it was such a huge nuisance.

Reaction score
Thank you so much, either Cory or David Green - I have a hard time figuring out who is talking to me here. This will force me to go Apple store, finally as I am not backing up my computer for a while and don't want to loose everything, while I am trying to remove the malware. Or finally back up my stuff, myself. Oh boy. Thanks a lot, didn't realize it was such a huge nuisance.

krete,

Since you want to get rid of the malware as soon as possible, it would be good if you made a bootable back up first. The "free" version of SuperDuper! is excellent for that. I have been using it religiously for about a year, and a couple of times, it was a life saver! You can get it via this link:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/13803/superduper

Note that link also contains links to earlier versions of SuperDuper! in case you don't have OS 10.6 or later.

Ask a Question