What do you think of the Upcoming Mac OS X Lion?

Reaction score
Being released summer 2011, Mac OSX Lion is apparently the newest thing in apple.

Personally i think i'll hate it.

So far it seems to me like its downgrading from Snow Leopard, I just dont like the idea of iPad like features on your actual computer.

What do you think?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi macgeek, you and I are like-minded when it comes to the old saying "if it 'aint broke, don't fix it!"

When I first used macs the os I was introduced to was 7.x then I moved up to os 8.0 then to 8.6. Then I jumped across to a pc, using win xp.

A few years later I jumped back to os x and the version was 10.4 ... I just loved it totally. I actually thought the transition from win xp to os x would be difficult but it was a cinch.

Then all of a sudden Leopard was upon us and everyone was talking about it and couldn't wait to upgrade. I on the other hand, had no intention of moving from Tiger because I thought it still had plenty of life in it yet.

A few years later, Snow Leopard was out and I couldn't believe the cheap retail price. Then when I learnt that you could upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard, leap-frogging over Leopard, it was only a matter of time before I purchased my copy of SL and I fell in love with it instantly!

I love all the little features of Snow Leopard and when I checked out some of the new features of Lion and how much it resembles the iPad or iPhone, with apps all over the screen .... and don't get me started on the thing called .... "Mission Control" .... ???

So, like you, I won't be rushing out to buy it when it hits the stores .... I haven't got that much money and I would still be using Tiger, were it not for the very reasonable price tag it has.

Even if Lion is similarly priced, I still will be sticking to Snow Leopard.

'Nuff sed!

Reaction score
it'll be great.

I'll wait until 2 or 3 point updates are out before updating.

If you have a production machine, it's aways wise to update another Mac first and check that your key Apps still work.

The Launchpad and Expose features are just a tiny part of the over all benefits.

Another way to do it is wait until one of your Must Have apps releases a Lion version before upgrading. This can be a good indicator that things a worth moving forward.

Auto Save, Resume, Versions and AirDrop are must have features!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I love the AirDrop feature but unfortunately the other mac here is an iBook G3 and probably won't run AirDrop .. but it does sound fancy and for schools that have Macs (and there are more these days than in previous years) then AirDrop will be a blessing for the techs there ...

I totally agree with your advice re production machine but I'm not totally convinced that Lion will suit me enough for me to really be bothered. I will be keeping a close eye on the folk who have gone and upgraded, just to keep abreast of any bugs or broken apps etc ...

Something tells me that those Mac users that own an iPhone and/or iPad will love Lion. The full screen apps and Launchpad for instance most likely will mimick similar apps on the iPad or iPhone. I can't really know this as I own neither and don't see me having either of them any time soon.

I do like the Auto-Save and Resume features but I can't off the top of my head remember what Versions does ... other than the literal meaning ... like Time Machine can bring up different versions of files you have previously worked on and can view again through TimeMachine ??

Ask a Question