what do i use to burn exact copies of cds?

Reaction score
hi, i haven't had my mac long and don't know how to burn CDs or DVDs. i want to burn exact copies of some data discs.

i know how to burn music in iTunes, that is easy.

do you get a burning program with OSX?

i've heard a lot of people say that Toast is the standard burning program on a Mac, but i don't want to spend money if i can do simple burning tasks out of the box.

any ideas?

Reaction score
iboy said:
hi, i haven't had my mac long and don't know how to burn CDs or DVDs. i want to burn exact copies of some data discs.

i know how to burn music in iTunes, that is easy.

do you get a burning program with OSX?

i've heard a lot of people say that Toast is the standard burning program on a Mac, but i don't want to spend money if i can do simple burning tasks out of the box.

any ideas?
You can use Disk Utility in the Utilities Folder inside your Application Folder. Select your disk in the left column and click burn in the toolbar at the top...

Reaction score
I personally use NTI Dragon Burn because I got an offer of purchase for just $10 (about £7).

It has been worth every penny, I love the program, although you can do it via disc utility as mentioned :)

Reaction score
I am not sure if you can duplicate a DVD exactly due to encryption. I am new to Macs and I know you could not BACKUP a DVD on a PC without using a decryption program. I use Popcorn from Roxio to do my DVD backups (my kids watch the backup DVD only due to them ruining originals too often).

I think the program costs about $50 dollars and its well worth it and works great. But that is not the only reason I chose it. I like the fact that I can now burn copies and put them on my kids PSP and on my Ipod Video. Beats having to lug a DVD player on a plane. Yes I know its a small screen but then again its cramped quarters.

Just my humble opinion.

KAM

Ric

Reaction score
Hi all,

as already stated above Disk Utility will do "Exact Copies", but only of unprotected disks, the same is true of PopCorn (Does not copy encrypted or copy protected DVDs or video files).

So if you want to duplicate your DVD library for backup purposes then you will need something like MacTheRipper, this removes the copy protection.

Then you can use PopCorn to 'squash' the DVD to a smaller size for storage or to fit on a CD. If you haven't got PopCorn, then I would suggest HandBrake.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric,

You are right. I use MactheRipper first to decrypt the DVD. Then I pick the video file it creates and use Popcorn to burn it to DVD, Ipod, Divx or PSP. This is a free program and also very simple to use for protected disks.

Thanx for the (very important) clarification

KAM

Ric

Reaction score
No problem KAM, (and welcome !)

I know quite a few people have bought Popcorn, expecting it to be able to 'copy' their DVD's and it can't !

Even though it does tell you that on their site, it's in their small print, so a lot of people end up paying for something, that doesn't do what they want it to do !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I often make CDs, using iTunes, with a variety of music for me and my friends. Occasionally I burn a disc that will not play. The most recent disc does not play on anything other than my Mac. When inserted into a player it appears as if the disc is blank but when put in the Mac all of the music appears and plays fine.

What am I doing wrong? Are there settings that I am not using?

I burn the discs using the 8X burn speed selection.

Thanks,
F

Reaction score
I often make CDs, using iTunes, with a variety of music for me and my friends. Occasionally I burn a disc that will not play. The most recent disc does not play on anything other than my Mac. When inserted into a player it appears as if the disc is blank but when put in the Mac all of the music appears and plays fine.

What am I doing wrong? Are there settings that I am not using?

I burn the discs using the 8X burn speed selection.

Thanks,
F

Are you inadvertently creating an mp3 or data CD? If so, these won't be readable on some players but will be on most computers. I suppose you might also run into trouble if you're trying to burn copy-protected tracks, but I don't think you'd get as far as burning in that case.

In iTunes, go to Preferences > Advanced > Burning and check what type of CD you are burning. If it's anything but Audio CD it won't play on some players...

J

Reaction score
Are you inadvertently creating an mp3 or data CD? If so, these won't be readable on some players but will be on most computers. I suppose you might also run into trouble if you're trying to burn copy-protected tracks, but I don't think you'd get as far as burning in that case.

In iTunes, go to Preferences > Advanced > Burning and check what type of CD you are burning. If it's anything but Audio CD it won't play on some players...

J

Thanks for the reply. I checked preferences and everything was in order. I tried it again and everything worked this time. I think I may have used the Mac burner on the computer rather than the burner in iTunes.

F

Ask a Question