DVD burner/player

Reaction score
I changed to an iMac earlier this year. I mainly use my pc for editing my home films, but am having trouble across the board really, as it is so different. However I bought an external dvd player/burner. This seems to be ok so far burning dvds but the Mac will not recognise the dvd player when i try to play one. I'm told it is not supported. can anyone advise please?

Reaction score
First, what Mac OS are you using?

Secondly, what brand DVD player do you have?

Third, your statement "This seems to be ok so far burning dvds but the Mac will not recognise the dvd player when i try to play one" is confusing. Does that mean the only function that works with the iMac is burning DVDs? That certainly seems strange.

There is a possibility that you need a driver/Mac driver for your device. Maybe you should check the company's website for that.

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for quick response, sorry if I didn't make my problem clear. My iMac is OS XEl. My dvd burner is Asus. As drivers were automatically loaded when I had my windows pc and this one is able to burn to dvd, I assumed drivers were automatically loaded on this too. so yes it is only able to burn not play. I did look on their website initially but I couldn't find the link for drivers and their chat line was unavailable overtime I tried that.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model is the ASUS optical drive? Is it similar to the SDRW-08D2S-U?

You shouldn't need a driver for OS X. Navigate to  > About This Mac > System Report > Disc Burning and ensure it says Reads DVD: Yes.

C

Reaction score
"My iMac is OS XEl"

I assume you mean El Capitan. Do you have the last, and most recent version of it, 10.11.6?

Also, I just did a google search for "Asus optical drive drivers for Macs", and I did not find anything "substantial". Even the Asus site does not have drivers for Macs. I can understand your frustration.

How are you connecting the drive to your Mac? Via USB? Is it a direct connection, or through a hub? Not sure if that makes any difference.

Ah! It looks like Corey (once again!) has come to the rescue, although with the google search I did, I did see some discussions about Mac users having difficulties with Asus devices (can't remember which model/models).

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. Ive been away for a couple of days so just catching up with your thoughts. In the system report section it does say read dvd, However I still can't play back my burned dvd. I will try downloading the VLC media player to see if that helps and report back.

Reaction score
I'm still having serious problems with this. When I checked on This Mac it says it can play and burn DVD. I can indeed play my films but will not let me take a film into my editing programme from DVD using VLC media player as was suggested by honestone. However it won't let me open it because it states that the identity of the developer can't be confirmed. Please where do I go from here?

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Here is some information on Apple's Gatekeeper:

OS X: About Gatekeeper

The section called How to open an app from a unidentified developer and exempt it from Gatekeeper will help you allow VLC to open and run.

C

Reaction score
I am really so frustrated by this. I wish Id never bought a Mac and stuck to Windows which I am familiar with.

Reaction score
note: If you have an app that has not been signed with a Developer ID to support Gatekeeper, contact the developer of the app to determine if they offer an update which supports Gatekeeper...........So how the hell do I contact the developer of the app???????

Ask a Question