Dvd burner/reader rejects discs

Reaction score
Hello,
Please help
I have a relativly new i-mac, just past 90 days, and the DVd burner has started to reject discs. It is an: OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5630A. It takes in the disc but then immediately rejects the disc.
Can any one help?

1horn100

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to Mac-help,
This may sound an absolutely daft question but does your iMac actually have DVD disk burning capabilities? You didn't mention just how old your iMac is

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome,
yes it burns and I bought it last April, I know I can take it back and get it fixed but I thought there may be an easy fix which don't involve moving this large screen.
1horn100

Reaction score
hi
Have you tried different disks? It could be the media is at fault, my old dad said, "all problems are simple until proved otherwise".

Reaction score
I think, therefore it may be time to check out the tech guys. I am at a loss as to what the problem is. You have tried all the usual fixes

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Have a look in System Profiler to see what it says under Disc Burning.

Click on the in the top left of screen and select "About This Mac", next click "More Info" in the window that appears. This will launch System Profiler which can also be located in your Applications ~> Utilities Folder.

20090108-cu3pf522hqd613grnni5qj8yft.png

Tell us what you see to the right of Disc Burning ....

Reaction score
Morning,
thanks for taking an interest.
It says:
OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5630A:

Firmware Revision: 1AHN
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

1horn100

Reaction score
I realize this is an old thread but I'm having the exact same problem. Mine reads the same as his, only newer version of software. Not ALL DVDs are rejected, I have managed to burn disks, but it usually rejects 10 before accepting 1.

Reaction score
The Mac doesn't like cheap DVDs, ensure they are high quality Branded DVDs.

or it could be a faulty drive, take it to an Apple Service Centre to have it checked.

Reaction score
I don't think the iMac dvd drives are very good quality.Mine is fussy about which discs it will write to and it is just starting to eject programme discs, the latest was a new Photoshop Elements DVD. It will read and write to others, but it is starting with the same symptoms that my last iMac ( white ) had and will very soon fail to read any discs at all.
I think this is a common problem, although, of course, Apple won't admit it. If yours is still under warranty, I would get it sorted quick.
Meanwhile, it will soon be time to get my trusty 6 year old external Lite-On dvd writer out of the loft........

Allan

Ask a Question