What could cause so many failures on my Mac?

Reaction score
First off please don't think this is going to be a "I hate my Mac" thread. I actually just purchased a new one. However Ive had so many problems with my previous three year old Mac I wanted to get some ideas on what could cause so many software and hardware failures.

I am running:
Mac OS X (of course)
Version 10.5.8

Problems:
(1) iTunes dosent work right. When ever I click on the little up and down arrow so I can move tracks around in a playlist it always jumbles up the entire playlist order.
(2) When I put a blank CD into the computer it won't always show up in iTunes.
(3) When I burn a playlist on a CD. Half the time the CD image disappears from both iTunes and the desktop. There is no way to get the disc out without rebooting.

(4) General drive issues. 50 percent of the time when I put a blank CD into the drive the disc image won't show up on the desktop. (even when I choose that option)

(5) Saving files. Lets say I make a folder to save images in. Then I save an image in the folder I just created. When I try to save the next image and the one after that, the computer randomly chooses a default folder to save it in instead of defaulting to the last folder I just saved an image in.

(6) A USB port on the back of the Mac seems to be faulty. If I have anything plugged into it it will take up to 20 minutes to get back to the sign in screen if I have to reboot the computer for any reason. If I don't use that USB port then the computer will reboot and get me back to the sign in screen within the normal amount of time. (a few minutes)

(7) More and more software has become flacky. My wireless keyboard won't work even though when I look in preferences the Mac is reading it. ( I had to switch to a plug in keyboard) Photoshop errors abound. Even when commands are successful I will still get error pop up boxes. iTunes issues. (see above)

(8) An external drive won't stay connected to the Mac. It continually un-mounts on its own randomly and reconnects. ( May simply be a bad external drive)

Ive scanned my Mac with two different antivirus/malware programs and no infections found. Ive trashed prefs on some troubling software programs but the problems always return. I tried to repair disc permissions. I also did a hardware check from the installing CD but it said all the hardware was ok. Though there's no question one USB hub is causing some problems.

Has anyone ever heard of this many faulty issues on a Mac before?

Reaction score
I this case I'd ensure your User Space is backed up.

Get the DVDs, Boot of the Install disk, re-format the drive and re-partition it, just 1 partition but it does some stuff that needs doing.

Reinstall the OS and Apps, do ALL the updates.
Then Migrate back your data.

Reaction score
Thank you for the response and suggestion. I sort of figured I was left with no other option than a reinstall. But any idea what would cause so many problems?

Reaction score
The power going off, without a proper shutdown.

Bad sectors on the disk, every drive has them...

Ask a Question