SOLVED What a font Woff files.?

Reaction score
just curious as to what font woff and woff2 files are, and should they be kept with the font file.
what font file tyes does Monterey for a iMac M1 prefer now.. lost count ofthem all.

regards

Sandy
font woff files.jpg

Reaction score
just curious as to what font woff and woff2 files are, and should they be kept with the font file.
what font file tyes does Monterey for a iMac M1 prefer now.. lost count ofthem all.

regards

Sandy
View attachment 4430
WOFF fonts are Web Open Font Format fonts that are used for creating web pages when you want fonts not included in the standard web fonts. Regular users don’t have much use for them except if you really want those fonts in your documents, in which case there are apps you can use to convert them into TrueType and OpenType formats.

WOFF2 fonts conform to the 2.0 format with improved rendering.

Reaction score
wow. thank you for the info. I do zero web work so i suppose they are no use to me.... I stilll have the full Adobe font library in True Type.. and about 10,000+ other fonts... (used to part time work for a Printer/typsetter)
regards, Sandy

Reaction score
wow. thank you for the info. I do zero web work so i suppose they are no use to me.... I stilll have the full Adobe font library in True Type.. and about 10,000+ other fonts... (used to part time work for a Printer/typsetter)
regards, Sandy
Me too, Sandy. No web design for me. But I did have to convert a couple of WOFF fonts to OT because the client wanted to match the fonts on their webpage. But some of the hints and kerning pairs were a bit off. I think I used FontXChange which is defunct now, I think. My business used to be printing/typesetting/service bureau, but have scaled down to typography and design.

I have about the same size font library and have no wish to expand. At least Creative Cloud gives me access to all the Adobe Fonts. I remember my first major purchase of fonts was the Adobe Font Folio (if I remember right), containing their entire font library (at the time) on a hard disk, which cost me about $15,000. This was before the time of CDR. Ouch!

Reaction score
Hi, I restore very old posters, often missing some parts of text, and so I find it easier to simply re-typset the text in a similar style font..saves ages of work, and almost nobody notices the difference.. and often I have to identify fonts on font id sites like FontSquirrel, an use free font sites to find a look alike font...

and photoshop (my main expertise) lets me modify and distort rendered fonts to tweak them to close facsimiles of what i need.

I HAD many early Font Company Catalogs, (sadly lost in the 2011 floods), and a few modern ones like letrasets catalogs (which adobe I believe bought digital rights and kept the font names... that was the best refference yet.

but since upgrading to the new M1 i find it is all a new ball game on fonts..

and there are many great gaps in Font needs of users. I spent ages making up my own catalog of my fonts to look up, as photoshops on screen previews are too dinky small. and apples only fontcatalog has problems. (hogged by many 'system' fonts that I cant get rid off, that then hog the photoshop menues. (I have no need for arabic or asian fonts at all etc. and yet I can turn them off but not delete them)

regards, Sandy

Reaction score
Hi, I restore very old posters, often missing some parts of text, and so I find it easier to simply re-typset the text in a similar style font..saves ages of work, and almost nobody notices the difference.. and often I have to identify fonts on font id sites like FontSquirrel, an use free font sites to find a look alike font...

and photoshop (my main expertise) lets me modify and distort rendered fonts to tweak them to close facsimiles of what i need.

I HAD many early Font Company Catalogs, (sadly lost in the 2011 floods), and a few modern ones like letrasets catalogs (which adobe I believe bought digital rights and kept the font names... that was the best refference yet.

but since upgrading to the new M1 i find it is all a new ball game on fonts..

and there are many great gaps in Font needs of users. I spent ages making up my own catalog of my fonts to look up, as photoshops on screen previews are too dinky small. and apples only fontcatalog has problems. (hogged by many 'system' fonts that I cant get rid off, that then hog the photoshop menues. (I have no need for arabic or asian fonts at all etc. and yet I can turn them off but not delete them)

regards, Sandy
Try myfonts (https://www.myfonts.com/pages/whatthefont) and go to WhatTheFont. You need to have a sample image of the unknown font. Upload the file and, unless the font is too esoteric, it should bring up a list of similar fonts, and maybe even an exact match. Try to scan samples with some distinct characters.

Ask a Question