Installed font does not appear in word

Reaction score
Hello Community,

I have downloaded a font from the net and installed it. I can already use it without any problems in graphics programmes such as btw. Ai.
In my MS Office programs: Word, Excel,... it does not appear.

Does anyone know why?
How can I fix the problem?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Hi Jami, thanks for your quick response!

I didn't get any error. The type just don't appear in MS office products.
In Adobe Ai, Id the type shows off.

Reaction score
Hello Community,

I have downloaded a font from the net and installed it. I can already use it without any problems in graphics programmes such as btw. Ai.
In my MS Office programs: Word, Excel,... it does not appear.

Does anyone know why?
How can I fix the problem?

Thanks in advance
What format is the font (e.g. PostScript, OpenType) and how did you install it? Did you use Font Book or another type management program? Does the font appear in any other text application like TextEdit? If it works in another text app you may want to try a test document using that font, save it in a format other than plain text and then try to open it with Word. Maybe the font selection will be retained.

Some of the free fonts that you can download from the internet are poorly done and can lead to problems such as this.

Reaction score
Hi Tony, thank so much for your response.
I guess its an open type, I installed by simple double click. No extra type management program added.
When opening a word document in TextEdit I can choose the type (Inter). So I did;).

Tried your advice, wrote an document in TextEdit, saved it as a word file and re-opended it in Word.
Word replaced the Inter type in Times New Roman.
I don't get it.

My colleague was able to put the font into her word program (she uses a microsoft laptop).

Reaction score
Hi Tony, thank so much for your response.
I guess its an open type, I installed by simple double click. No extra type management program added.
When opening a word document in TextEdit I can choose the type (Inter). So I did;).

Tried your advice, wrote an document in TextEdit, saved it as a word file and re-opended it in Word.
Word replaced the Inter type in Times New Roman.
I don't get it.

My colleague was able to put the font into her word program (she uses a microsoft laptop).
Okay, Christin, I researched the Inter font and found it to be open source so it should be safe to use. Did you download the complete set of fonts or were you supplied with a single or several fonts? There should be 18 OpenType fonts and one TrueType font with 18 faces. If you didn’t get these, you should remove the one(s) you installed and replace them with the set from the publisher/creator. You can download the complete set from here:

Click on the Download link in the bar at the top of the page. After the download you must first remove the previously installed Inter font(s) using Font Book. It should be in the User group. If it shows a set or family, right-click on it and select Remove. If it shows individual font(s), select them all and again right-click and Remove.

The downloaded fonts should consist of four folders and several text files. The fonts you want to install are the ones inside Inter Desktop. From Font Book, do File -> Add Fonts… and navigate to the Inter Desktop folder. You can select all or just the 18 .otf files, but it won’t hurt to include the .ttf also.

Not done yet. Select the Inter group on the sidebar, right-click and select Validate. If you installed the TrueType font, the folder should be Inter V. Validate as well. If everything is green, you are good to go. Try using it in Word. Let us know if it worked. Good luck!

Reaction score
It worked Toni!

Thank you so much for your time and support!
:)
I followed all your steps, worked out.

I validate the Inter folder as you sad, InterV appeared. The basic folder still Inter remained.
Don't know why, I deleted that folder.
Still works;).

Best,
Christin

Reaction score
Silly me, when deleting the regular folder all font is gone.
went through the same procedure. It works again;)

Once again.
Thanks for ur support!

Reaction score
Silly me, when deleting the regular folder all font is gone.
went through the same procedure. It works again;)

Once again.
Thanks for ur support!
Nice! Good work. I’m concerned that the TrueType version (V) could conflict with the OpenType. You can keep it in Font Book but you can disable one set or the other by right-click and selecting “Disable.” This way, it will remain in your font library and enabled if and when you need it.

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 08.30.38.png

Notice that I disabled Inter V.

Last edited:

Ask a Question