Water spill in a MBP

Reaction score
We have a 15" MBP that has an SSD drive.

My wife spilled a glass of water onto the device and now it does not boot.

Here's some facts:
- I've seen it successfully boot from a USB drive
- the system disk is intact, as I can see it from the disk utility
- the device can see an externally mounted disk drive

Apple is telling me that the logic board has failed and it will cost upward of $1200 to fix.
An Apple reseller tells me it will be at least $850.
This seem silly to me. How can the logic board fail if it can boot normally from a USB drive?

Shall I try to remove the SSD and see if it will boot from that SSD externally? What exactly do I need hardware-wise to do that?

I have ordered the required screwdrivers for the case and to pull out the SSD.
It seems to me that the SSD cable must have gotten fried. Why else would the SSD fail to mount?
Is this something I can replace myself?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

BK

Reaction score
I had a similar situation happen with my MBP last year as well. I spilled a bit of wine (whoops!) on the keyboard and it messed several of the internal components including the SSD. In my case I had one of Apple’s SSDs that are like a small chip rather than the normal 2.5 inch laptop drive, so I had no way to really connect it externally and ended up sending it to https://thedatarescuecenter.com/ since there was corrosion on the SSD from the liquid.

If you have one of the standard 2.5 inch drives laptop style drives in your machine, you may be able to connect it with a USB to SATA connector of some kind or an enclosure or dock. They’re usually pretty cheap ($15-$30) from what I’ve found online. Since you already bought the tools to open your MBP I don’t see the harm in at least trying to connect it externally before looking into other options.

Reaction score
I had a similar situation happen with my MBP last year as well. I spilled a bit of wine (whoops!) on the keyboard and it messed several of the internal components including the SSD. In my case I had one of Apple’s SSDs that are like a small chip rather than the normal 2.5 inch laptop drive, so I had no way to really connect it externally and ended up sending it to https://thedatarescuecenter.com/ since there was corrosion on the SSD from the liquid.

If you have one of the standard 2.5 inch drives laptop style drives in your machine, you may be able to connect it with a USB to SATA connector of some kind or an enclosure or dock. They’re usually pretty cheap ($15-$30) from what I’ve found online. Since you already bought the tools to open your MBP I don’t see the harm in at least trying to connect it externally before looking into other options.

Thanks for the response. I think I'll pursue trying to move the SSD into an external holder as you're suggesting here to see if the SSD is still functioning.
If it does, then it seems to me that it must be the cable leading to the drive.

Ask a Question