Keyboard Issues/Water Spillage etc

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a tendency to write big essays so I apologise in advance. There's a short version at the bottom if you don't like reading!

I am also aware that during the course of this post I do some really dumb things.

About 3 days ago I spilt some water on my Macbook. I hadn't actually realised I had done it because I wasn't using the keyboard. I was just using an email to help with some filing that I was doing. In the flurry of admin duties, I probably knocked the drink over.

After a while I noticed that I had spilt seeminly a small amount of water on my Macbook. It didn't look like any had gone into the keys and I thought it was only surface liquid. I wiped the keyboard down and carried on. I even used the keyboard and everything was in perfect working order.

Not thinking anything of the water spillage issue (since it was only a small amount of water) I didn't turn my Macbook off or anything. I just shut the lid and went to bed.

Some 12 hours later. I went to use my Macbook and the letters Y, H, N and the spacebar didn't work. All of these keys are in a line, so I assume they're connected?

I guessed this had something to do with my late night spillage, so I promplty got cross with the person who had been leaving half finished drinks around the house and turned it off. I decided that maybe the Greenhouse (I am full of bad ideas) would be a good place to err potentially dry the keys if they had been damaged by the spillage.

I left it in there for a bit, before realising it was a bad idea. I turned the Macbook back on 24 hours after the spill to see if my keys were working.

I left the Mac upside down and put it on the side for the last 24 hours. The whole of Monday. Today is Tuesday. I tried again this morning and so far the keys aren't working. It's all a bit problematic!

Any suggestions?

Short Version: Spilt a drink on my Macbook, the letters Y, H, N and the Spacebar don't work. I'm a bit sad about the whole affair.

Thanks guys and girls,

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Reaction score
That's now a hardware problem, so its off to the local Apple Service Centre, there may be one in your area.

Reaction score
Essentially what I wanted to hear. There's an Apple Store in town so I'll give them a call. This is probably going to cost me about a trillion pounds isn't it?

Reaction score
Shouldn't be too expensive a keyboard swap is a straight forward job for an Apple Tech. Shouldn't be more than half hr labour, and the cost of a replacement keyboard, I can't quote keyboard price but its the screens and logic boards that are the killer.

Let us know the time and hourly rate;-)

Reaction score
Hey.

Thanks for your help. I got everything replaced and it's all good. It came to about £52 for the Keyboard and £24 for the labour. Though it was covered in Apple Care, so it didn't cost me anything. I'm pretty sure that spillages void the warranty, but I'm also pretty sure that Macbooks have water damage indicators on them, so perhaps it wasn't that? Hmmm

Oh well, thanks!

Reaction score
Great, I've always found the most Apple (only) service techs really generous and helpful.

Ask a Question