Want sleep to continue when lid lifts

Reaction score
For years I had configured my 4-year-old MacBookPro3,1 so that it didn't awaken when the lid was lifted; a keypress was needed. (I did that because I suspected that the lid switch was overly sensitive, since I would hear disk-drive sounds when I would pick up the closed computer.) After a recent repair, and subsequent Migration Assistant transfer of files and settings from a newer MBP, my old MBP awakens when the lid is lifted. I can't find where to change back to the old behavior. My vague memory is that there used to be a "Laptop" preference pane in System Preferences which dealt with things like that. Can anyone tell me how to get the "stay asleep on lid opening" back again?

Reaction score
I don't recall any System Preference that does that, sounds like a 3rd party hack.

A quick search only turns up your other requests for help on this topic.

Reaction score
My first reaction was that I wouldn't have used a 3rd party app, but then it occurred to me that I may not have used System Preferences, but a Terminal command to disable the lid switch. Poking about in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/, I discovered that com.apple.PowerManagement.plist has a parameter "Wake On Clamshell Open". Using that phrase as a search term brought up How to turn off "wake on clamshell...: Apple Support Communities, which reccommends the terminal command

sudo pmset -a lidwake 0

Ask a Question