Problem with Mojave and 'Sleep' mode

Reaction score
I'm operating Mojave on a Mac-mini (late 2012). For years I have, at the close of the day, put my computer in the 'Sleep' mode so that striking any key the next morning would bring me up and running. Naturally, I continued this practice after upgrading to Mojave. The next morning I found that no key I struck would 'wake up' my computer. Next I went to the 'start switch' on the back of the Mac-mini. Pressing it had no effect. The only way I was able to bring the computer up was to 'pull the plug' on the power and plug it back in. Doing so caused the familiar musical chord and startup initiated. The next evening I didn't put it in 'Sleep' mode. Rather, I just left the computer alone and let it time out to sleep on its own. Next morning, same routine. It is worth noting that it can put it 'to sleep' during the day and wake it up a little later with no problem. So it seems to me that at some point during an extended sleep, the system shuts down, but not in any proper way. A start switch that is inoperable and having to remove power are certainly not standard. I would appreciate any help to troubleshoot this problem, especially from someone using a different model Mac. It's possible that the problem is limited to the Mac-mini (late 2012). That would be good to know, as I could get that feedback to Apple as they work on resolving this problem.

Reaction score
Hmm, I have a late 2012 Mac Mini, and I have not upgraded from High Sierra yet. Also, the first update for Mojave, OS 101.4.1, is currently in the third phase of beta testing.

Did you insure that any third party (ie, non-Apple) software you are using is compatible with Mojave?

Also, I never put my Mac Mini to sleep, especially at night. But unless something strange is going on, this seems to be s definite bug. Wonder if folks who have laptops experience the same thing.

Ask a Question