Volume control buttonsnot working

Reaction score
For some reason my volume control buttons on my macbook have stopped working (f 3 f4 & f 5 ) bring up the image on screen with a littte circle and a line through it but no functionality. Any one able to help me re activate these or help me resolve the issue? :confused:

Reaction score
Have you tried holding down the "fn" key (lower left-hand side of your keyboard) before you hit the F3, F4 and F5 keys?

Reaction score
Thanks very much - I found the actual issue is a known fault with the Earphone / Speaker Jack - Known apple Macbook fault.

This jack socket is an optical output also and sometimes when pulling out the earphone jack plug it does not trigger the optical led to turn off - you can see a red light in the hole!!!

By "twiddling" the plug or using a cocktail stick to gently switch off the led - I found that just pushing in an out the jack corrects the issue now.

Thanks for the reminder on this and for reminding me to update the fix.

Regards,

Traphonic.

Reaction score
I actually had to use a toothpick and trigger the LED light off. This is nutts! But thanks for the suggestion. Is there a fix/patch to keep this issue from happening?

Reaction score
I have also found that just pushing in and pulling out the "Apple" earphones jack usually frees up the sticking sensor switch also. THanks for the reply....
:)

Reaction score
Yeah I tried pulling the ear plug in and out and it was not doing the trick. But the tooth pick worked... I was doubting it at first.

Reaction score
If the button on the keyboard isn't working and you're in real need to change the volume. Look too the top right-hand corner there will be a speaker phone symbol and it should work.

Or maybe you could try System Preferences

Reaction score
Re: Volume control buttons not working

now its my problem, i've been trying all suggestion above, but seem like nothing changing with my mac. its keep not working. actually, what should i do with the tooth picks? i just push in when the light on? and what should be happen?
cos, when iam trying with the earphone, the light is Off, but still the volume control doesnt work...

please help, its drive me crazy.
thx

Ask a Question