Very simple for most, but i'm noob...

Reaction score
I have never needed Automator until now. At least not that I know of.

Anyway, first time using it and this is what I have....

Just installed "My Movies" app (movie catalog/data program). It requires ALL 500 of my movies to be in subfolders to be imported from my "Movies" file. So, what I need to do is come up with a way to....

1. select movie file inside "Movies" folder (eg: Caddy Shack.avi)
2. create a subfolder inside of "Movies" (eg: SF named Caddy Shack)
3. move the original .avi into the new subfolder

I need to do that for all of my movie files in the "Movies" folder.
Please help! Do not want to do this by hand! :mad:

Reaction score
Not all the same. Each movie needs its own subfolder with the name of its respective title. Within "Movies" will be 500ish subfolders containing its movie file. Sorry if I was unclear.

The closest I got was doing one at a time using the a step called "New Folder" (with other parts moving to trash and stuff), but I had to specify the folder name each time. That doesn't save me anything. What I need is to select my Movies file run the program and it will create the folders with the name of each movie, place the correct movie in it, and avoid multiple copies (its over 500 gigs). It can't be that processing intensive. I just don't know how to do it without sitting there and creating them all manually.

Sorry if I was unclear.

Reaction score
The app that I am using needs them set up that way to import them to its library. (See original post)

Reaction score
After reading another post, it looks harder that I thought. Apperently it is difficult for it to read the content of each file. I say this bc it would have to do that to name the subfolder the appropriate name.

Reaction score
I looked at doing this in AppleScript and it would be a big job.

I've made a real Cocoa App to do what you asked. Please note, if this goes wrong its completely on your head, don't come crying to me. Test it on a small Folder first to ensure it does what you need. Undoing 500 Folders would take you a lot of time.:rolleyes:

Good Luck.

Attachments

• FolderBlaster.zip
    397.3 KB · Views: 330
Reaction score
UnZip the File
Double Click the App, FolderBlaster
Click the button Make and Move The Files,
Choose the Source Folder
Wait until done.

You are backed up???

Reaction score
Wow. Did it on a small document folder and worked fine. Works very blindly and will have to do my entire movie file at once.

Ask a Question