Verification Failed. Unknown error occurred.

Reaction score
So, I can enter my Apple id (email + password), and the Apple server obviously recognizes my credentials because I get a message on my phone that gives me the 6-digit login code I need for 2-step login. But after I enter the 6 digits, then is when I get the message "Verification failed. Unknown error occurred." I have no trouble entering my Apple ID info either on my iPhone or my iPad pro. The trouble with the iMac started after I loaded Malware Bytes. I uninstalled that program, but the Apple ID verification problem persists. So, I did a Time Machine restore by selecting a stored backup that was older by 3 weeks than the date on which I had installed Malware Bytes. No, that restoration did not correct the problem. I still cannot get to the App Store, nor for anything that wants my Apple ID.

If I choose to format my Macintosh HD, how do I find a copy of macOS Catalina for putting it back on a clean, empty HD? And would that be likely to solve my Apple ID sign-in problem? I would have to reload my apps after I get the machine up and running again after formatting and reinstalling an OS.

Or do I just take the desktop into the Apple store and let a tech restore my machine and an Apple ID that works? Seems a drastic and expensive solution. Thankfully, I have my data saved to an external drive.

I use no proxies, and I have (temporarily) turned the Firewall off. Using a different browser doesn't help, either.

Al Kidd

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

This is an issue that happens from time to time. An erase and reinstall would be the last resort, so I would hold off on that for now.

I would try the following:
-See if you can sign into icloud.com
-Sign out of iCloud in System Preferences, iTunes/Music/TV apps, iBooks, etc.
-Restart your iMac
-Sign into iCloud first, then the others if that works

Let us know how that goes.

C

Ask a Question