App Verification

Reaction score
I'm new to Mac, being a long-time Windows user. Last year I purchased 'Scrivener' from the App Store and shortly thereafter reformatted my hard drive to clean it up. Now whenever I launch the Scrivener app it has to verify it online. Whenever the power or internet is out and I launch the app the popup says the app was purchased on another computer and to enter the Apple ID and password to verify, which can't be done without a network connection. How can I convince my Mac that it's still the same computer? At worst can I buy the app again somehow and just learn that you never reformat a Mac? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What version of OS X?
-The issue only appeared after you erased the hard drive, correct? It was working normally before?
-Is Scrivener listed in the Purchased section in the App Store app when logged into your normal Apple ID?
-Have you ever had another Apple ID with which you made purchases?
-Have you tried deleting the Scrivener app and redownloading it?
-Is Spotlight enabled and set to include Applications?

C

Reaction score
-OSX El Capitan version 10.11.2
-The issue only appeared after reformatting the hard drive. I purchased a new computer, purchased the app, reformatted the computer and installed the OS from scratch, re-downloaded the app, then encountered the problem.
-Yes Scrivener is showing under my purchases still
-No, I do not have any other Apple ID's and am sure it was purchased under this same ID
-I have not tried deleting the app and redownloading it as I redownload end it after reformatting the drive
-Scrivener does show up in my spotlight search

On my PS4 there's an option to 'Make this my Primary PS4', is there anything like that for Mac? I can't imagine the MAC address or serial number for the computer changed during a reformat and fresh OS install but somehow the computer thinks it's changed.

Reaction score
The exact wording is as follows:

"Scriviner" was purchased using the App Store on another computer. To use "Scriviner" on this computer, sign in using the Apple ID and password used to purchase it.

This is normally fine because the Internet connection is usually on so it automatically verifies in the background. However, when I try to use my laptop during a power outage or when the Internet is down the necessity for verification prevents me from launching the app.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information.

I would try deleting it and redownloading it, just to test. It may solve the issue. Also, 10.11.3 is out if you want to update at the same time.

C

Reaction score
I updated my OS version and deleted-redownloaded the app but since it verified when I did that and it doesn't need to verify every time (every 24 hours or 48 hours?) I won't be able to check it again immediately to see if anything changed. I'm still interested to hear from anyone who understands what happened so I can avoid this in the future and generally be more knowledgable about my new Mac.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Not sure why it happened. I guess we'll wait 24 hours to see if that corrected the issue.

Good luck,

C

Ask a Question