Usb flash drive

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
As promised, I tested it out on a MacBook Air with High Sierra. It doesn't search exactly the same as it does in Sierra, but I can still find the flash drive in Console. I can enter potpourri in the search box and press Return, and the unmount line comes up as above.

C

Reaction score
OK, it "kind" of worked. I erased and formatted (as Mac OS Journaled, GUID Partition Map) an empty 32 gig Flash Drive, and named it "Test". When launched the Console app, and whether the drive was already plugged in, or I plugged it in, when I used Test in the Search box, it found it. Also when I used "Mount" in the Search box, it found it. When I ejected the Flash Drive "properly", and put Unmount in the Search box, it showed it on the log.

However, after I quit the Console app, and then relaunched it, whether I put "Mount", "Test", or "Unmount" in the search box, nothing came up. It thus seems that the Console app has a short memory.

Reaction score
As I was reading your response it occurred to me that I had not ejected the terabyte backup drive before I ran the scan. That and the SSD is 480 gig so that and running at the highest setting would explain the very long scan time.

I'm running Macs Fan control to monitor and control the fan.....https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

Reaction score
Thanks for the information about the Macs Fan Control software. I just downloaded it to my Mac Mini. Maybe later I'll run ClamXav.

For the 480 gig SSD, while an SSD should be faster, again it also would depend on how full it is, and/or how "lean and clean" it is. If you are not using that much space on that SSD, you could partition it (I assume you make backups), and then run ClamXav on the smaller partition that contains all your "stuff".

I actually could partition either of my internal SSDs, even having the partition containing all my stuff as "large" as 100 gig (only using about 75 gig on each 252/256 gig SSDs). But having the extra space 1) allows my Macs to run more efficiently, and 2) I have plenty of room for those times when I do some large downloads. Most of those are typically movies or TV series, which I later move to a partition on one of my external devices (actually SSDs).

Be that as it may, when I start to run ClamXav, I then typically do something else, like watch a movie and/or some episodes from a TV series. The application does not really need to be monitored.

Ask a Question