SOLVED Upgrading from Catalina 10.15.7

Reaction score
I am presently using an iMac retina 4K 21.5 inch late 2015 model and have been advised that I need to upgrade if I want to continue using TurboTax for 2022. I personally do not like upgrades but I have no choice. My question is should I upgrade to Big Sur or higher and what are the ramifications of doing this. Would appreciate any assistance in this matter.

Reaction score
I am presently using an iMac retina 4K 21.5 inch late 2015 model and have been advised that I need to upgrade if I want to continue using TurboTax for 2022. I personally do not like upgrades but I have no choice. My question is should I upgrade to Big Sur or higher and what are the ramifications of doing this. Would appreciate any assistance in this matter.
You iMac16,2 is capable of running macOS Monterey. I recommend going with it instead of Big Sur because Monterey worked better for me. Make sure you have a reliable backup—I personally prefer Time Machine plus a clone copy. I use Carbon Copy Cloner. One cannot be overly cautious when it comes to data backup, especially when upgrading the system.

Are you still running El Capitan? Just go to Systems Preferences, Software Update. It should offer up macOS 12.5 or newer.

Ask a Question