Upgrading MacPro to 10.15

Reaction score
I have Mid 2010 5,1 MacPro with Mojave on 10.14 operating system. I need to upgrade to 10.15 Catalina or Big Sur to upgrade my Adobe software
I'm ordering a Radeon 7950 graphics card (metal), 32MB RAM installed. I have two CPU Intel X5690 3.46MHz and Intel X5675 3.86MHz ready to install to replace, one or the other. Any advice on procedure, Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Officially, the Mac Pro (Mid 2010) is only supported up to macOS Mojave 10.14.6. I would guess that the graphics cards and CPUs that you are looking at aren't compatible, as they are probably designed for PCs. Yes, there are some websites around that have processes to flash their BIOS/firmware or install some EFI loaders, but those aren't guaranteed to work.

My suggestion is to simply purchase a newer model Mac that supports the versions of macOS/Adobe products that you need.

Sorry, wish I had a better answer for you.

C

Reaction score
Thank you Cory, I'm ordering a Radeon graphics card that is compatible with MacOS Mojave. Yesterday I backup my entire system and will start an upgrade with Intel X5690 and 32GB Ram. If those work I will research open core legacy patcher. Wish me luck.
I just built a complete loaded PC for my 3D work on CNC. It is not as friendly as a Mac system.

Ask a Question