Upgrade to Big Sur

Reaction score
I'm a FCPX editor working in Mac OS 10.14.6. I've been reluctant to upgrade OS because what I have has been working so well on my 2018 MacBook Pro. Now I'm coming to a point where all me major projects will be finished, and I can upgrade both OS and FCPX. Have you seen/heard of issues with Big Sur and FCPX? These major upgrades always make me real nervous....

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Great thought on waiting until your projects are finished! It is never a good idea to upgrade/update on a production machine in the midst of deadlines.

I haven't heard of any major issues with FCPX and Big Sur. Big Sur is far more stable than Mojave was in my experience.

A few things:
-Make sure you have current Time Machine or other backups fo your data.
-You could always make a clone of your iMac as it is currently on an external drive in case things don't work well.
-You will need to update FCPX to version 10.5.2, as it is only available for Macs running macOS 10.15.6 or later.

Hope that helps.

C

Ask a Question