SOLVED Unable to change startup disc, Power Book G4

Reaction score
I have a PowerBook G4 partitioned to run OS 10.4 and 10.5. I've transferred files from it to my mid 2011 iMac running OS 10.13 and 10.6 in separate partitions. I do know now that I must use the iMac as the target disc, not the PowerBook. So, after some trying, I was able to transfer files from, I think, OS 10.5 on the laptop to OS 10.6 on the iMac. The problem is now that I cannot boot up the PowerBook to system 10.5. The 10.5 icon is on the screen, and I can access files in that system, but 10.5 is not included in the icons for choosing a startup disc from system preferences. Also, starting up the laptop while pressing option, does not include the choice to start up to OS 10.5, only 10.4. I tried resetting some initial parameters with opt-shift-command, and that didn't help.

Any advice?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

What files did you transfer? You could possibly have overwritten some of the OS X system files, preventing the 10.5 partition from being able to be used as a startup disk.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

What files did you transfer? You could possibly have overwritten some of the OS X system files, preventing the 10.5 partition from being able to be used as a startup disk.

C
I've got it working again, Cory. I think the problem may be a peculiar (or corrupted) thumb drive I tried to use as a backup. Same sort of problem occurred when I tried to use that same thumb drive to back up my iMac. Both now functioning.

Thanks.

Ask a Question