Unable to update to 10.14.6

Reaction score
I have an iMac 2015 and when I was offered the update to 10.14.6 about six weeks ago the computer froze about an hour into the loading process. The bar below the Apple icon was about two thirds the way across .
Several attempts all produced the same result and opening in Recovery mode and trying to get the update online was no better.
If I restore from Time Machine then all is good, however I have to go back to August 9th for this to work. If I select a date after this then the update fails as discribed above.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Thank you Cory.
I have 866GBs available and I am on 10.14.5.
Thank you for link which I shall try as soon as I can. The trouble is it's a three of four hour exercise to go through three quarters of a failed update and then have to start again with a restore.
Thanks for your help and I'll let you know.
regards Joe

Reaction score
Fantastic!
Worked a treat. Many thanks.
Is there any reason that I shouldn't go back to automatic updates now?
Thanks again.
Joe

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...glad it worked for you.

Normally, if you have issues with Software Update (delta updates), the Combo Update should apply without issue. Delta updates are just the changes since the last version you have installed. Combo updates include all updates since the major version was release - in this case, 10.14. Sometimes macOS will not let you apply a combo update, if you have applied certain updates since the combo update was released.

Be well,

C

Reaction score
Sadly thing have returned to the bad old days.
We had a power cut and when I restarted my Mac it froze as before. I’ve tried online download, time machine from earlier today and lastly returning to August which is running at the moment and I hope it will sorted when I get up in the morning. I will then be able to access the “ combo” update. There doesn’t seem to be any way to access this directly in the recovery mode?
More than a little depressed. Joe

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, let us know how that goes.

No, you cannot access Combo Updates using Internet Recovery. It is supposed to install the last version you had installed.

C

Reaction score
Cory.
I was successful in getting going again by using Time Machine ,but back to August again. Having done that I used the link that you provided to Combo Update which was fine. I have not had the courage or time to restart the computer and see what happens, but the last thing that the Combo Update does is restart so I'm hopeful.
any more thoughts on what the problem might be?
Joe

Ask a Question