MacBook Pro unable to boot

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011) running High Sierra, that went belly up on me. I have reset the pRAM and SMC. Hardware Test comes back clean. When I try and run a Safe boot, it will boot into a white screen. Internet recoveries also do not work. I have attempted to boot from the CD but it doesn't show the option when the install disk is in the drive. Any ideas?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

If you can startup from Internet Recovery and a home-made install disc, and the hardware test passes, it sounds like it is an issue with the hard drive and/or hard drive cable or a severely corrupted OS X/macOS install.

-Do you have a Time Machine or other backup of your data?
-Do you have an external hard drive that you could try to install macOS on?

There was a MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for 2011 MacBook Pros, but it expired on December 31, 2016. It was for MacBook Pro models that "may exhibit distorted video, no video, or unexpected system restarts". Normally, the white screen behavior isn't related to that.

C

Reaction score
sounds like my issue, it would randomly restart when it was closed. I sent it in for a video issue back in 2015 but it still happened after that as well. I purchased a new HD to install the OS on but have a windows PC and can't get them to play nice. I was able to install the remote installer however when I hard wired my Macbook and PC to the same network, the Macbook did not recognize the attempt. Should I hard wire them directly to each other?

Ask a Question