Two Partitions with Two OS Versions On MacBook Pro (yes or no?)

Reaction score
Hi - I have a (new to me) 2014 MacBook Pro that came with Mojave; problem is it's giving me problems using "restore" from a Time Machine backup of my older software (Adobe CS6).

QUESTION: I supposed I could attempt to wipe the hard drive and just install an older OS (Sierra I think) and the old software, but would another viable option be to partition the hard drive and install two different OS versions - depending upon what software I'm running?

Two bits invited

chef

Reaction score
I had a similar situation a while back. I had a piece of software that would run on El Capitan, but not on any later OS. I had Mojave installed on my internal disk and then did a clean install of El Capitan onto an external drive. Then I could turn on the iMac with the Option key depressed and select the OS I wanted to boot to. With El Capitan on an external drive I could also use it on my MacBookPro too.

Reaction score
That sounds good sir! So basically you

1. Install a full version of the older OS on an external hard drive;
2. Boot up from the external drive and use the older/compatible software with the external drive OS
3 Is that correct?

thanks again

chef

Reaction score
But I'm still wondering about my FIRST question: Is it possible/practical to partition the MacBook hard drive into two parts, and install two different versions of OS on each partition - I guess I'm wondering if the second partition inside the laptop could do the same job as using that external hard drive with the older OS?

thank you

chef

Reaction score
I think it is possible to run two partitions with different OSs on, I found the external disk more useful as I could use the same setup/workflow on both of my iMacs and also my MBP. At the end of the day you need to do what is most practical for you and your workflow.

Reaction score
Thanks but... I am going to need to hear from someone and/or see something where they know for sure that two OS/split partition approach works (I'm not real tech savvy and nervous about screwing things up). Yes I have heard about the external hard drive boot up working before

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Yes, it will work with two partitions on the internal drive. But I agree with Lufbrarunner that an external is the way to go. Because most internal drives are now flash-based and much smaller than their traditional hard drive counterparts, and you don't want to compromise space on the startup drive, an external gives you more flexibility. Plus, as macOS and your apps are upgraded, you may eliminate the need for the dual-boot capability altogether.

Your older version of Adobe CS6 (2012) is very outdated and 7 versions behind, and even though it may work with Sierra and later, it could break at any time. Personally, I have moved completely away from all Adobe and Microsoft products, as they are more costly and trouble than they are worth. I have owned every version of Microsoft Office from version 4.2.1 through Office 2011, and all Adobe products since 1992 - Photoshop 2.5/Illustrator 5/Aldus PageMaker 4/GoLive/Macromedia Dreamweaver/and all the smaller apps through Adobe CS4. It cost me small fortune to stay up to date, and I gave up when they started moving to subscription-based models, and I could get similar functionality with much less expensive applications.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Gotcha & thanks for the detailed response although... I am pretty much screwed without the Adobe software for my work (Photoshop/Illustrator/In Design/ Premier Pro) but hoping to continue using older OS and CS6 (non-subscription based) - which is the whole point of this thread.

And now that I have your attention... looking for input on how to wipe an SSD from a non-working MacBook Pro (before I sell it for parts)?

thanks

chef

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Understood about the Adobe deal.

I just replied to your second question in your other thread. ;)

C

Ask a Question