Avoiding software incompatability via partitions

Reaction score
I have an old mirror Drive G4 tower (833 Mhz model) which I primarily use to run a protools home studio. I am running Protools LE 6.4. I don't want to upgrade the protools to a more recent version as the machine is too slow. To upgrade to a faster machine I would need to upgrade all my peripheral hardware as well - and the set up is capable of serving my needs as is.
This software will not run on anything Beyond OS 10.3.4 due to an incompatibility issue with more recent Quicktime programs (beyond 6.5.2. - see http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=1&navid=54&itemid=22904
for details)

The problem is, my household has 2 of the new Ishuffles. To operate these we need access to Itunes 7.1 or higher - and thus needs 10.3.9 to run!!! I initially tried running a higher level itunes without upgrading the quicktime, and I managed to get it all working on 10.3.9 temporarily but you can't install itunes 7.2 without Quicktime - and everything has conflicted again - the end result is Itunes hangs when I try to open it.

To overcome the problem I have partitioned my harddrive - with the idea of putting 10.3.9 with Itunes 7.2 and quicktime on one partition and starting up from there to use normal operations including managing the IShuffles. The other partition is loaded with 10.3.4 and Protools and not much else - I can use the startup keyboard shortcut to boot from that OS. I figured that there would be no incompatibility this way as the 10.3.4 start up would operate the recording studio and ignore the Itunes and quicktime programs sitting on the other side of the partition...and vice versa.

I thought that this would avoid the problem in a very neat way
but having done it, the ITunes still hangs and wont open. i have run disk utility to repair permissions etc on each side, but to no avail.

Any suggestions???

Was my original thinking wrong or is it my execution that is out??

advice gratefully received.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

your logic sounds good to me...

Do you still have it set as two partitions ?

DO you have any external Firewire drives ?

Try 'umounting' the inactive partition when you have booted, (I'm not sure if it will let you though) and the try running the software again...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for Replying Ric.
I have tried a few re-installs etc since posting but still no luck.

In answer to your questions/suggestions...

- I do still ahve the two partitions

- I tried unmounting the Protools partition as per your suggestion (disk Utility did let me do that) but it did not help.

- I do have an external firewire drive that I use to store files only (IDVD and Imovie projects and all the audio files for protools). It has no program files or OS on it. I also never have it connected when I boot up or install anything.

My current thinking is that I could reinstall 10.3.0 and then update to 10.3.9 to 'flush' the OS - or is that a waste of time?

Any other ideas gratefully received as I would really like to run protools and manage the gen2 Ishuffles without having to buy a new computer!

Ask a Question