SOLVED Two Macs, one monitor

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have a MacBook par touche bar and I want to get the new iMac mini.
I want to add also one Dock the TS3+ from Caldigit.

How can I connect both of them to the same monitor, same keyboard and mouse.
I have seen some KVM switches, but still I have some problem for connecting.

Best regards

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The CalDigit unit won't work for what you are trying to do. It is for connecting multiple devices to a single computer. A KVM switch is the only solution for connecting multiple computers to a single display/keyboard/mouse.

-What are the exact models of the two Macs?
-What version of OS X/macOS are they running?
-What type of connections do the display/keyboard/mouse have?

KVM switches are getting harder to find, as the industry is evolving.

C

Reaction score
Hello, thanks for your reply,

Actually I have the MBP 2016 running on the latest version 10.15.4. I will get the iMac Mini soon and I will update it to same version.
I know that TS3 is not fitted for that purpose, but I want it as a dock for my Macs.
So, I dont know if I can get the TS3 for both Macs at the same?
The KVM that I have found on the net, are mostly with VGA connection, is it a digital video output? I have seen some adapters from VGA to HDMI.
I have seen also the Tachloe HDMI switch with a button for easy swapping, some have remote controls.
Actually I have the Logitech Master Mx 3 and I want to get a similar brand keyboard.
I beleive that I need to install many switch for my setup.

Thanks one more time, appreciate your support.

Regards

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

You could use the CalDigit TS3+ to connect your display and peripherals, and then to either Mac. You wouldn't be able to connect it to both simultaneously. It should be hot-swappable between them, but you would need to confirm via their documentation.

Stay healthy and safe.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for confirming that it can be used only by one Mac, now remaining how I can get both Macs on same monitor then swap using a simple button. I am still trying to find it out and let you know. If you have any other suggestions, you are welcome.

Take care

Regards

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
A KVM switch is the only way to switch those peripherals between to Macs with a button. It may work if you could use the CalDigit with an external USB-C switcher, but I can't promise that. Maybe contact CalDigit and explain your situation - maybe they know of a solution?

Let me know if you find anything and I will be happy to take a look.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I will try to contact Caldigit or other brands and get help from them.
I will let you know as soon as I get an answer.

Best regards

Reaction score
Hi again,

I have found that on YouTube, one USB switch (I think the k USB-C switch is better and faster) and one HDMI switch, I think it's the only way, but still I will try to contact caldigit.

Many thanks

Regards

Reaction score
Hi,

I have sent an email to caldigit, but no answer.
I think there are many options, KVM switches from IOGREEN for exemple, or I got a suggestion from another forum saying we can use virtual machine to control the MBP.
Hope this will be useful, many thanks.

Best regards

Ask a Question