When Do Macs Become Obsolete?

Reaction score
When I look at the list of non-supported Macs, it is concerning when purchasing used equipment. As an example, a 2015 MBP with a last manufacture date of 2018 may have several years more OS support than the prior year model with a last manufacture date of 2015!!! With the latest OS update comes updated security protocols. Many sites are not accessible or will not properly run if current security is not updated. Does anyone have accurate information as to how Apple decides to not support the latest OS on a Mac model? I have read that it’s based on 7 years from the last date of manufacture, and also other reports that it is based on 7 years from the first date of manufacture! I’m not sure which is true and would like to generally know when purchasing used equipment. Does anyone have definitive information?

Reaction score
I looked at that. Thanks! So I was correct? A 2014 MBP that was discontinued in early 2015 will likely become obsolete in less than two years and maybe have one more update, where a 2015 MBP that was discontinued in late 2018 wii likely be good for another 5 years and see several OS updates? If that is true, it sucks!! Similar processors but shorter life span? My preference is to run current OS for security updates!! My 2011 2GB 11” Air is running Sierra I believe and still use it for very personal use. Don’t want to buy new yet!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, sounds correct...Vintage: 5 years and Obsolete: 7 years after they stop manufacturing. Apple updates the list multiple times a year - maybe quarterly?

I used to buy a new Mac every 1-2 years, but that got to be very expensive. My newest personal Macs are all obsolete: iMac (High Sierra) and Mac mini (El Capitan) from 2009 and a MBP (El Capitan) from 2007. Just haven't had the need to upgrade, as my usage changed. I do have access to much newer models through work, so that also contributes to not having to upgrade.

C

Reaction score
I am exactly the same situation. I used to buy new Macs frequently as I was past Director of a very large Macintosh enthusiast group in the US. So in your case, are you saying that all of your Macs are obsolete and do not run Catalina? Not running a current OS with security updates was my concern with the 2014 MBP wine it becomes obsolete next year?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Correct...all of my Macs are obsolete and can only run the version I listed.

Personally, I don't worry about the security of Macs versus PCs. Even if they are on an older version of OS X/macOS, they are still far more secure than a Windows box. Plus, having 25+ years in the industry, I am more than experienced in prevention and detection of security issues. In my current job, I help manage 8,000+ Chromebooks, 1000+ PCs, 500+ Macs, and 1500+ iOS devices, as well dozens of websites, internal/external systems, servers/VMs, and the security and configuration of the network and its resources.

Everyone has their comfort level and beliefs when it comes to technology, so it comes down to personal choice that one can live with.

C

Reaction score
Yes, I totally agree. So then it really doesn’t matter whether I heave a 2014 or 2015 MBP! They will both become obsolete :). The advantage over my Air is 16GB of Ram rather than 2, and 512GB of Storage as well as a Retina display for not a whole lot of $! Actually if I could get a 2015 11” i7 8GB 512GB, I would actually prefer that. But no Retina display!! Not sure how important that is. They are at a premium though due to portability.

Reaction score
Hi,

Personally, I don't worry about the security of Macs versus PCs. Even if they are on an older version of OS X/macOS, they are still far more secure than a Windows box.
Cory hit the proverbial nail on the head,;) and I for one totally agree with him. Just look at my system spec to see the vintage devices I have just purring along .:)

Ask a Question