Trouble Mounting Hard Drives/time Capsule

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am running Leopard and my Macbook Pro refuses to mount any external hard drives. I sees Time Capsule, but when I try and use it to back up, it fails to mount...

Any suggestions? I have tried disc utility. All help gratefully received

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Helllo davidmiller748 & welcome to mac-help,

What brand of Ext HD do you have and does Disc Utility actually recognise that there is an external drive attached?

Reaction score
Hiya

I have a Time Capsule and a Freecom. Disc utility doesn't recognise them. But flash drives mount straight away. Wierd...

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hmmn .... very strange indeed!

Have you tried turning your Mac off for a while, then booting it up and when the Finder is fully loaded, then connecting the drive?

Also you could try a new user account to see if the drives still don't mount.

I'm still running Tiger so I don't fully understand the Time Capsule bit, but isn't it a regular HD that you can open up to view the contents? Can you do that without any problems?

Do the Flash Drives show up on the desktop as mounted drives?

Reaction score
Yep, I've tried the turning off thing. I havn't tried new user, wil give that a go.

Yes, the flash drives appear on the desktop.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Ok, hopefully there will be good news there ...

Have you successfully had Ext HDs mount before? How is the Freecom formatted?

In your 1st post you wrote:

I sees Time Capsule, but when I try and use it to back up, it fails to mount...

Exactly what did you mean?

Reaction score
I tried new user and that didn't work. D'oh. Yes, it has seen this drive before. The time capsule is wireless. I can use it as a hard drive, but have to fiddle with it to make it mount, but when you go to back up using time machine, it says the volume failed to mount, and disc utility doesn't see it!

Ask a Question