Trouble connecting to iTunes from AppleTV

Reaction score
When I try to switch sources to my iTunes library on AppleTV I get a continuously spinning cursor. I then look on my computer and I see a message that says, "The movie file "Extract775D6949-A583#5251AD.aif" cannot be found. Without this file, the movie cannot play properly." When I click the cancel button I am then able to connect to my iTunes library without problems. What is causing this and how can I fix it?
Thanks.
John

Reaction score
When I try to switch sources to my iTunes library on AppleTV I get a continuously spinning cursor. I then look on my computer and I see a message that says, "The movie file "Extract775D6949-A583#5251AD.aif" cannot be found. Without this file, the movie cannot play properly." When I click the cancel button I am then able to connect to my iTunes library without problems. What is causing this and how can I fix it?
Thanks.
John

I just want to clarify your issue John.

So, you can view the movie OK, but not until you cancel the request via the error message box displaying on your Mac?

I apologise if I misread your post...

Reaction score
The problem does not occur when I'm trying to play a particular movie. It happens when I am trying to switch the "source" from AppleTv to my iTunes play list. The cursor will spin indefinitely unless I go to my computer and dismiss the error alert. After I do this, I can connect to my iTunes playlist from AppleTV with no trouble.

I'm not trying to play a movie when this happens. It happens when I click "Source" and select my iTunes playlist as the source.

I hope I've explained this so that it makes sense.
John

Reaction score
I'm curious about the missing file ....

Extract775D6949-A583#5251AD.aif

So, whenever you try to change the source to your iTunes playlist you always get the error about the missing file and it's always the same file that it mentions is missing?

Do you have this movie file in your iTunes library? I know that ?TV has a problem playing content that wasn't purchased from the iTunes Store ....

Can you remove that file from your iTunes library, say put it on your Desktop and try to switch source again .... I'm sorry if I can't be more specific, I'm trying to troubleshoot this with you ...

Reaction score
Stanley,
Thank you for your interest and assistance in solving this problem. I did a search in Spotlight for "Extract775D6949-A583#5251AD.aif" and got no finds. However, when going through the entries in my iTunes music library to clean up unwanted songs, I came accross two titles that had bizzare names with "775D6949-A583#5251AD.aif" appended to the ends. These "songs" were not recognizable by title. But when I clicked to play them they were both audio files that I had created several months ago while converting my digital video to DVDs using FCP and DVDSP.
They had never been in my library before as far as I know. Could it be that these titles were somehow created in iTunes when my iTunes library was synched to AppleTV? Or perhaps they were there all along unnoticed until they were "discovered" by AppleTV?

In any event this is what I did: I deleted these files with the long suffix and then followed the suggestion of a poster at Apple Forums and recreated my iTunes library.
The problem resolved. I suspect that recreating my library was not really necessary and just trashing the strangely named audio files was what did the trick.

Anyhow, now I am a happy camper. The message is gone and I can easily switch between AppleTV and my iTunes library as the "Source" for viewing or streaming.
Thanks again for your time and effort.
John

Reaction score
That's fantastic news John! I use GarageBand and if I download loops and double-click on them, they are automatically added to the iTunes Library, so later on I find I have a whole lot of 5 second files in my iTunes Library named 'Analog Snare Drum.aif' etc.

It's hard to know exactly how those files found their way into your iTunes Library but the good news is that it's all fixed .... !

Ask a Question