Transfer Itunes library on a hard drive for new computer

Reaction score
Hello there,

I want to transfer my Itunes library onto a external hard drive (Toshiba Canvio) to be able to use it on my new mac (which has very little memory, and my Itunes library is quite weighty). On my old mac, I've consolidated my files, put them on the hard drive and on the new one, used the option key while opening Itunes to be able to choose a new library, but I don't have the option to choose the Itunes library which is on my hard drive. So I'm stuck with my library on my hard drive, but no way to use it on the new computer.

So just to be clear : I want the contents of the Itunes library to be on the hard drive to save space, not the computer.

Does anyone know what should I do to resolve this problem ? I'd be so so grateful !!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Since you consolidated the iTunes Library, you can simply copy the entire iTunes folder to the external hard drive, connect it to the other Mac, then use the Option key when starting iTunes to select the iTunes folder on the external.

See if that works,

C

Reaction score
I had zero problems copying my iTunes library, even when I got my first Mac, and copied from my Windows machine. But now I have Catalina and Apple Music, and I keep being surprised with songs being on the cloud and not on my Mac. It's not as simple as it used to be.

Ask a Question