Top spotlight bar doesn't display items

Reaction score
The top bar of my iMac only shows Spotlight. Even though I have Fast User switching enabled, iStat Menu should be there and a spaces icon, but none of these are displayed.

Furthermore, if I try to log out or shut down, my mac freezes halfway through, with just the background displayed, and I can only shut it down by holding the on button or by the mains.
Also, in the 'Dock' application is actually displayed in the dock, and wont hide or be removed from there by any method I know, and its icon is not the standard one, but instead a piece of paper, pencil and pen.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section...
Help would be much appreciated
Thank you :)

Edit: Mac OS X Leopard

Reaction score
After you shut down and restart the Mac, is that application with the paper, pencil, and pen icon running?

Reaction score
O.K. First things first. What's the name of the application (The one with the paper, pencil, and pen icon) that you can't get to quit?

Reaction score
I have finally figured out my problem - could someone - anyone - please PM me with the "info.plist" file which is found in System/Library/CoreServices/Dock -> Show Package Contents -> Contents.

As soon as possible please, my mac can't even shut down without having to pull the power plug :(

Thank you in advance, I am forever grateful :D

Ask a Question