Brand new Apple laptop queries

Reaction score
I have new Mac laptop. I have noticed the Time Machine logo on the menu bar doesn't circle when updating. Also how can I prevent having to put in a password every time my laptop has net been used for a few minutes and goes off to sleep. There's only me on the machine ever, no requirement for passwords every ten minutes. Advice much appreciated please.

Reaction score
I have a mid 2017 MacBook Air, running the latest version of Mojave, OS 10.14.3. I don't use Time Machine for my backups (I prefer SuperDuper!), but regarding your statement "the Time Machine logo on the menu bar doesn't circle when updating", do you mean when Time Machine is doing a backup, or when a newer version of Time Machine is released (and thus expecting an update to be installed)? For the latter, don't think Apple releases separate updates for Time Machine (unless it has a serious bug). Such updates are typically included in a newer version of the Mac OS. Not sure about the former.

Regarding the "need" for entering a password every "so often", here are the results of a google search of "How to turn off the entering of a password on a Mac":

I actually require the entry of my admin password on each of my Macs when starting up. But neither machine makes me re-enter it after it has been "sleeping", or I have been away from it. In fact, when I do my weekly SuperDuper! backups, I quite often leave the backup alone while I am doing other things (primarily continuing to clean our place), and when I come back and "wake" the machine up, it continues with the SuperDuper! backup, and I am not asked to re-enter my admin password.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure why you are posting this little homily so often on my threads. Are you trying to tell me something? This doesn't answer my queries in the end honestone. Please desist for the sake of my sanity

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure why you are posting this little homily so often on my threads. Are you trying to tell me something? This doesn't answer my queries in the end honestone. Please desist for the sake of my sanity

I am trying to obtain the information from you, so that it would be of benefit to others. Also, I want to insure that the information I provided was helpful, and did assist you in the resolution of your problem.

And that "little homily" was the first time I have asked for such information. Remember, we are all trying to provide assistance, and letting everyone know the resolution is important.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome,

Are you still having the issues? I would be happy to help out if you are.

C

Ask a Question