Brand new macbook pro cpu temperature over 90 degrees c when torrenting

Reaction score
Ive had a macbook pro 2017 for 3 weeks now and I downloaded istat so i can regularly check my temperatures. normally, when just browsing on google with a couple dozen tabs open, my macbook pro is around 38 to 50 degrees celsius, and my cpu temperature is between 43 and 55 degrees celsius. however, when i was torrenting from google onto utorrent, my macbook pro quickly heated up and became around 80 degrees celsius, while my cpu reached over 90 degrees celsius! this was the first time this has happened and my fans were spinning like crazy. I have not had my macbook pro for long and im quite concerned, I contacted apple support and they said i should reset my smc but im scared to do that cos id have to remove my batteries. i was asked to do a malware scan and there was no malware found. do you think that this maybe is just a problem with utorrent and perhaps i should i use another torrenting app?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What exact version of OS X/macOS?
-Do you have a heavy network load when the issue occurs?

When doing processor-intensive tasks like streaming video or heavy network activity, the fans can easily ramp up and the temps climb. I believe the maximum CPU temp is around 100º C, but I not sure of the exact number. The MacBook Pro will power itself off to protect itself, if the temp reaches the upper limit.

I would say it is within spec, if the fans/temp are as you stated under a normal load. You could verify that uTorrent is compatible with your version of OS X/macOS.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What exact version of OS X/macOS?
-Do you have a heavy network load when the issue occurs?

When doing processor-intensive tasks like streaming video or heavy network activity, the fans can easily ramp up and the temps climb. I believe the maximum CPU temp is around 100º C, but I not sure of the exact number. The MacBook Pro will power itself off to protect itself, if the temp reaches the upper limit.

I would say it is within spec, if the fans/temp are as you stated under a normal load. You could verify that uTorrent is compatible with your version of OS X/macOS.

C
thanks for replying! my current version is 10.13.2 . how do i check if utorrent is compatible with my version of mac? also im hesitant on updating my mac as I have been told that my macbook could slow down due to these updates?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You can check compatibility by contacting uTorrent customer service directly. Their website only shows macOS Sierra compatibility from what I can find.

What kind of slowness have you been told regarding the newer releases of High Sierra?

C

Reaction score
You can check compatibility by contacting uTorrent customer service directly. Their website only shows macOS Sierra compatibility from what I can find.

What kind of slowness have you been told regarding the newer releases of High Sierra?

C
wasnt apple exposed on the news for slowing down their products with updates so that they can handle the changes ? (or something similar)

Reaction score
thanks for replying! my current version is 10.13.2 . how do i check if utorrent is compatible with my version of mac? also im hesitant on updating my mac as I have been told that my macbook could slow down due to these updates?

This site is helpful in determining what applications are compatible with various versions of the Mac OS (and some other Operating Systems):

https://roaringapps.com/apps

However, that table indicates that uTorrent is compatible with High Sierra, yet as Cory states, the site itself only indicates Sierra compatibility.

Also, a number of applications have a Check Update option under the file menu. I use Transmission for "torrenting" (similar to uTorrent), and there is a "Check Updates" option under the File menu). BTW, Transmission is compatible with OS 10.7 or later. It actually works quite well, at least for me.

Yet, sometimes that "Check Updates" option is not up to date. For Transmission, when I click on "Check Updates", it says that I am current with V2.9.2. However, in visiting their site (Cory's excellent suggestion), it states that V2.9.3 is available (was actually released back in January). So, I have downloaded that version.

A third choice is to visit this site:

https://www.macupdate.com/

That is a good site to see if there are any updates, but do not download any updates from it. It is always best to get such updates from the company's/developer's site.

As for High Sierra, the latest version is V10.13.4. The easiest (and safest) way for you to update is to download the OS 10.13.4 Combo Updater, available form here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1959?locale=en_US

This actually contains all the updates for High Sierra to date, and thus in your case it would install the ones for V10.13.3 and V10.13.4. I have always used Combo Updaters, and they work well.

As for a machine's performance, are you doing any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? Such tasks can definitely help, and there are some excellent programs available (both free and commercial) that can help. Also, look inside your Downloads folder. That is where a lot of "stuff" can pile up.

It is also good to have a "good amount" of free space available on your internal drive. Myself, I am only using about 35% of the space available on my 2 Macs (a late 2012 Mac Mini with a Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig SSD, and a mid 2017 13" MacBook Air with a 252 gig SSD). The disk cleanup task I mentioned above can certainly help with that.

Finally, are you making backups to an external device? That of course is necessary.

Last edited:

Ask a Question