To ibook or not to ibook??

Reaction score
Great website – I’ve been really struggling with my dilemma for a couple of weeks and hope you may be able to help.

In the past I have only used desktop P.C’s and have made the decision to buy an Apple for the first time. Further, I have decided to buy a laptop as I spend a lot of time on the move and live in a relatively small flat (with no wireless connection). I will still be using my PC at work for ‘real’ work. This is just for my pleasure.

I have a video ipod and so the purpose of this laptop will be mainly to store a lot of songs, surf the internet, play football manager 2006, play the odd DVD, personal finances – the odd spreadsheet, letter, etc.

But I can’t decide between the ibook and the powerbook?! Am I right in thinking the Powerbook is more for business use? Will the ibook (the more expensive 14” one) be good enough for what I want it for and not be out of date within a year?

Any help is appreciated.

P.S – If I buy the ibook 14”, I plan to upgrade to 1GB of RAM and add another 20GB of hard drive. Is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance!!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi, thanks and welcome !

Before you rush off and buy one, are you aware that all the Macs are curently being converted/upgraded to run with Intel chips ?

This means that all current iBooks and PowerBooks should start coming down in price...

...however, buying one now means that it is old before it's time, if you know what I mean !

I however bought a new PowerBook only a few months ago, knowing full well that there would be new ones out soon, but I know I'll get a good few years out of it !

Depending on your finances, I think it's best to buy the 'best' that you can (comfortably) afford.

I would go for a nice new "MacBook Pro", my laptop is the last of the PowerBooks, this new one is 4-5 times quicker running with the new Intel Dual Core chips...

From what you've said any of the iBooks, PowerBooks will handlw what you want to do, easily. Whilst technically they are out of date now (because of the Intel ones) they are still very good Machines and you'll get a good few years out of them.

I am a great fan of laptops, but if you don't really need it then the new iMac (with twin Intel processors) is a very nice Machine and you get a lot more power for your money !

A lot of the decision comes down to money...

Definately add the RAM, 1 GB is sufficeint and you can always add more later if needed. The extra 20GB, depends on your needs. No matter what size drive you have you will always fill it !!

So then you have to either throw stuff or buy an external drive any way...

MacBook Pro

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for all of that - a great help

How long do you think it will take for the ibooks to drop down in price and when are the newer versions with the intel technology due out??

In your opinion, if I was to buy the ibook 14" tomorrow and upgrade to 100 and 80 respectively, would it last me for at least 2 years? - My needs will not change much

I can only really afford £1100

Would the 12" powerbook be a better option?

Ric

Reaction score
such a tough one !!!

Not sure if/when the drop in price will come, Apple haven't dropped them yet !

My Wife has a 12" iBook and uses it for the Internet, emails, photos...etc

Have you 'seen' any of them in real life ? That will certainly help, make your mind up...

For doing what you have said, they would both last/perform for at least 2 years.

Pop into an Apple store, and just check that the 12" screen would suit your needs first. The 12" is slightly slower than the 14" but not that much.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question