Thunderbolt connections

Reaction score
I have a late 2013 iMac 27inch with thunderbolt 2. I have an external SSD with thunderbolt 3 (LaCie) I want to connect the LaCie to my thunderbolt 2 so that I have extra USB port free. Is this possible? LaCie just mention an adapter on their website without going into details

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Can you give a link to the LaCie external SSD that you have, and I would be happy to let you know your options.

C

Reaction score
Thank you Cory for your response. I must admit to not knowing for sure what you mean by giving a link to the LaCie?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

I just meant add a clickable link to the LaCie website page of the model your SSD drive is. Or, give us the complete model name.

I think many of the current LaCie portable SSD drives have a USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) connection and come with two cables - USB-C to USB-C and USB-C to USB 3.0. After reading the online information, it doesn't sound like they are compatible with Thunderbolt/Thunderbolt 2, even with an adapter.

Honestly, I would contact LaCie customer support and ask them if you can attach your drive to an older Thuderbolt-equipped Mac with any sort of USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter.

C

Reaction score
Thank you again Cory. I will contact them as you suggest, I do have the model you mention with two cables supplied. I actually contacted the manufactures, seagate?, but got no reply.

Reaction score
I think that you are correct about the fact that my SSD is not backwards compatible to Thunderbolt 2 I did check open the web site as you had done and came to the same conclusion. Thank you anyway for your advice

Reaction score
Hi there... I hope I'm not hi-jacking this thread but I have a Mac Pro here and I'm thinking about buying a new monitor.

Firstly - am I right in thinking that the Mac Pro's ports are only Thunderbolt 2 (I've been told that Thunderbolt 3 wasn't supported for the Mac Pro) ?

Secondly - I can currently dual-boot between OS-X and Windows. But when I open Windows Device Manager it doesn't show any ports saying "Thunderbolt". Are they called something else under Windows or does Windows simply not support them??

Ask a Question